SMPTE and Using Audio FFT

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
justints
Is taking Resolume on a second date

SMPTE and Using Audio FFT

Post by justints »

I am working with a variety of visual tracks that sync to audio tracks. I have them all lined up nicely using a master SMPTE source (A little digital Recorder).

However, I would like to be able to modulate effect parameters based on audio. I discovered that Resolume will not allow a quicktime to sync to a SMPTE source if it contains Audio.

I could put my SMPTE on one channel and audio on another, but it would seem that the audio FFT analyzer and preferences do not allow you to select channels for audio VS SMPTE inputs (is this true?)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i could sync clips to SMPTE AND modulate parameters using the FFT analyzer.

- J

justints

Re: SMPTE and Using Audio FFT

Post by justints »

I have a kind of Rube Goldberg work around here:

- create an audio track with SMPTE on the left channel and audio on the right channel
- use an external audio interface (I dug out my old M-Audio Traveler)
- Send the left (SMPTE) channel to the internal audio interface, and the right (MONO AUDIO) to the external audio interface.
- Choose the Internal interface for SMPTE and the External Interface for FFT.

A few thoughts based on getting this to work:

1 - If it were possible to select the channel that FFT uses, you would not need a second audio interface.
2 - If it were possible to use clips that contain embedded audio with Resolume's SMPTE synced transport, it would obviate the need to feed external audio in for FFT analysis.

If I could choose a feature, I would chose#2. Perhaps I should make an entry in the features forum :)

Is there an easier way to use SMPTE Sync AND Audio FFT?

Thanks,

- Justin

justints

Re: SMPTE and Using Audio FFT

Post by justints »

Well I think I spoke too soon. It looked like it was working but what I was seeing was the SMPTE mixed in with program audio in the FFT input.

I think it is not possible to use two different devices to feed SMPTE and Program Audio respectively into resolume.

I put in a feature request to allow the FFT analyzer to select left or right channel or both channels.

- j