Problem: Mapped slices randomly changing

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
oheegs
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Problem: Mapped slices randomly changing

Post by oheegs »

I'm having a very unnerving problem with Resolume Arena 4.1.3 -- I've mapped out all my slices onto my stage setup- and have done it very precisely, making sure there are no edges leaking off onto the back walls, etc. However, when I project and go through my VJ clips, for no apparent reason at all, the slices randomly warp and change. This leaves big black margins on my stage setup, and clips leaking over onto the backdrops and walls. I've tried to go in and re-map in the advanced output settings but the clips and slices just keep randomly shifting shapes so none of the mapping matches the stage geometry whatsoever and I don't know what to do :( :( :(

I can post photos if this would help.

edit: I use a Macbook Pro with 16 GB Ram, connecting to projector via Mini DisplayPort to HDMI with an HDMI into the projector.
Last edited by oheegs on Sun Feb 23, 2014 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Problem: Mapped slices randomly changing

Post by pfelberg »

I sometimes have some minor mapping issues lke this one, but they are never related to Resolume itself.
Sometimes the projector offsets its position due to several reasons, depending on where and how it was installed.
Moving head lights, sound vibration, strong winds (even a very strong air conditioning vent) and even the projetor cooler vent itself. Any vibration that offsets your projector one mm in a short period of time, will offset you mapping "a lot".
Sorry if this wasn´t any helpfull for you.

oheegs

Post by oheegs »

The mappings do no move uniformly however- they are stretched completely differently, higher on some cubes, gaps on others, lower on some, and always remain completely in alignment at the bottom of the stage.

hookerbot
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by hookerbot »

Dumb question, but start with the simple stuff: Are all of you clips scaled to layer or composition correctly?

oheegs

Post by oheegs »

How do you mean??

All clips are set to 1248x702. Even if I leave resolume playing one clip w/o changing it (say an hour long premixed clip)- that clip will go from being perfectly mapped to completely off skew by inches (sometimes even up to a half foot)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

This is most likely caused by your projector scaling its output.

Some projectors will have an auto-detect setting. When someone projects letterboxed or cropped images, the projector will scale to make it screen filling.

When you project mapped content, of course you aren't sending out a fullscreen image. So the projector gets confused and tries to help you.

You can easily test this by having one slice which displays a fullscreen image. During set up, make sure you verify that it shows up in its entirety on the projector. Then turn it off.

If the mapping then jumps, turn this slice back on. If it doesn't show up in its entirety anymore, your projector has adjusted itself. Look through the menus, you should be able to find that auto-detect option.