Double triplehead projection

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
manuelgazzo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Double triplehead projection

Post by manuelgazzo »

Hi there!
I have to run a 3 projector seamless screen setup (with matrox triplehead). Resolution of clips are 1920 * 480 (width 3 times 640*480). With edge blending. Nothing new so far. BUT; the issue is that i have to repeat this projection. I mean, i will have 2 of those screens on my venue. And they will be projecting the same comp. All from one PC and using 2 tripleheads (one for each screen).
I want my comp to be 1920*480 size (the proportional size of each screen on my venue). So, in Arena´s advanced output panel I have 3 slices for triplehead 1 and other 3 slices for triplehead 2. ALL slices
THE PROBLEM is with the edge blending setup. Because in the advanced output panel I have 3 slices (of triplehead 2) on top of the other 3 slices (of triplehead 1). So when I start to edge blend it all get´s very weird.
I hope i make myself clear. I see it´s very difficult to explain.

My goal is to repeat my triple projection (from the same source) on another screen or screenS without having to increase my comp size and using layer routers. Although i´m assuming that increasing my comp size will use more computer resources. Maybe i´m wrong here.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers!

Manuel.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Double triplehead projection

Post by pfelberg »

I am used to the Tripple Head, but I never used two at the same time.
But if I am correct, you have no issue ; )
Someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but the way I see it...
1. you need a computer with three video outputs
a) interface
b) tripple head 1
c) tripple head 2
What you are missing, the way I see it, is that you have all six slices created for the same output!
This is not the way.
You should see different SCREENS (adcanced output/ input selection / top left).
You should create 3 slices for the proper SCREEN output.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The problem is that blends are defined by overlapping slices in the input selection. So when you create three additional slices to warp the second set of projectos and set them to take their input from the same comp area, they will blend with the first set.

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn this off at the moment, so your only option is to double the size of the comp so you can take the inputs separately. Probably using a Slide effect at 99% opacity at comp level is the quickest way to achieve this.

It's a bit awkward to have to double up the comp for something so basic, but unfortunately that's how it is for the moment.

kmifflin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by kmifflin »

I've used two TripleHeads before.

Only works on PC. OS X only supports a single TH2G.
I didn't have the blending problem because I blended in the projectors, which is not always an option.

Have you thought about just DA'ing your outputs? Not as flexible but with matched projectors and a good alignment you can make this work.

gabonacorp

Post by gabonacorp »

why don't you use VGA, or DVI splitters? you need 3 splitters from the tripplehead and you are good to go.

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

There's a video on youtube of someone running a test with two tripleheads on a MBP. I believe he was using a 2013 model.

manuelgazzo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by manuelgazzo »

Thank you guys very much.

pfelberg;
You are correct. And that is already my workflow. The problem is exactly what joris is saying.

Joris;
I understand. And your suggestion is a perfect workaround. The doubt is if increasing the comp size in this case, would it jeopardize mi computer memory/resources??

kmifflin;
Yes. Getting projectors with edge blending function is a good choice. Unfortunately not my option at the time. Sorry, but what do you mean by DA'ing my outputs?

gabonacorp;
Yes, but the second set of 3 projectors (the splitted signal) would have to be exactly positioned and perfectly matched as the first 3 projectors. Because the signal is splitted, they will have the same adjustments on output transformation and edge blending... So it is pretty impossible to achieve it this way i think.

DayVeeJay;
Awesome.

theLABVisuals

Post by theLABVisuals »

I've been running a THTG and a DHTG today for a custom job, It's not soft edged in any way. However it is running 2400x600 and 2048x768 in DXV quite happily (4.1.7 Arena).
Introducing ARC - The APC40 mkII Extender.
ARC brings you 640 clip triggers, 128 Faders, 128 Track pots, 80 Scene launch, 16 foot switches and more.
https://www.theapc40extender.co.uk

kmifflin

Post by kmifflin »

DA'ing your outputs?
DA
Distribution Amplifier
AKA splitter