questions

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
pravda23
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: questions

Post by pravda23 »

Joris wrote:1. On PC, you can look into Spout. Apparently Vxsu got native Spout support today.
gonna need some help with this - nothing on spout / spoutcraft about vsxu. can u help me find a solution and try import vsxu visuals into resolume, for example?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm sorry, I don't use Vxsu myself, and I think I've only seen Spout support for it mentioned on Facebook, which makes it pretty much impossible to find again.

I suggest to go over to spout.zeal.co for further info.

pravda23

Post by pravda23 »

did a brief forum search on using the APC40 with resolume but nothing apparent on how it works. is it possible to use the device while also running ableton live? i get the old apc conflict message.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

On a PC, a Midi device can only be in use by a single application.

pravda23

Post by pravda23 »

Understanding SMPTE (you dont have to answer - havent' read manual yet)

I have two machines, one running resolume, and one ableton. My overall aim is to sync various parameters on resolume to the BPM on the ableton machine. I've already done this successfully using the external input / EQ function on resolume, but while only running a simple kick drum loop. Obv when I import the full track, the visual kick effect will be diluted somewhat. Is SMPTE the answer? If you to feel led to help out while I get my lazy ass onto the manual, please know that I will hold you in the highest regard and recommend your name beyond all borders.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

pravda23 wrote:Understanding SMPTE (you dont have to answer - havent' read manual yet)

I have two machines, one running resolume, and one ableton. My overall aim is to sync various parameters on resolume to the BPM on the ableton machine. I've already done this successfully using the external input / EQ function on resolume, but while only running a simple kick drum loop. Obv when I import the full track, the visual kick effect will be diluted somewhat. Is SMPTE the answer? If you to feel led to help out while I get my lazy ass onto the manual, please know that I will hold you in the highest regard and recommend your name beyond all borders.
SMPTE will just sync the playhead of clips, it won't sync effects. If you build the effects on beat into your clips then SMPTE is the answer.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

pravda23 wrote:My overall aim is to sync various parameters on resolume to the BPM on the ableton machine.
you can use virtual midi drivers to send midi notes and commands from ableton to resolume.
you can assign any midi note to virtually any button in resolume, eg you make a midi clip in ableton where you hit a C2 note every beat, you send this to resolume and assign C2 to beat tap.
you have the two apps beat synced.

edit: there are midi over ethernet drivers so you can do this over wifi or wired network
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

pravda23

Post by pravda23 »

SMPTE will just sync the playhead of clips, it won't sync effects. If you build the effects on beat into your clips then SMPTE is the answer.[/quote]

So the video clips will have to be pre-recorded at the same tempo as the backtrack? If the backing tempo changes, even by a fewf BPM, then they will start to go out of sync?

To create the below clip, I looped a kick in ableton into the second soundcard / laptop, on which resolume was running. I set the input on the foreground clip's RGB delay effect to external and brought the kick in, which works great, even with BPM changes. But I guess the aim is 1. to be able to run the entire backing track, which makes the solidity of the RGB bounce more difficult (all other frequencies will play, greatly minimizing the required amplitude range) and 2. to be able to change the tempo without having to resync resolume manually or by using pre-set clip tempos. It may be a little higher grade, but if its at all possible i'd like to base the set's visuals on flexible BPM effect sync - to turn a knob and have the visual pulse slow down - unique (at least in cape town!)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/lc7WHsamCug[/youtube]

thanks again for all the help!