Solution for relocating clips

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Solution for relocating clips

Post by DayVeeJay »

I'd love to see the ability to specify root folders for media. This could be saved in the composition file.

Lets say computer 1 has a folder structure like this:
C:\Footage
-Nature
-Neon
-Black&White

Computer 2 has a structure like this
Macintosh HD\Users\visuals\movies
-Nature
-Neon
-Black&White

Let's pretend that the composition was made on computer 1. Resolume would automagically add c:\footage as the default root directory. When the composition is opened on computer 2 the user would be prompted to relocate, select root directory or define a new root directory. In this case we would define Macintosh HD\Users\visuals\movies as a new root directory. When the user saves the composition on computer 2 it also saves the newly defined root directory in the composition file.

Let's open that composition on computer 1 again. The default composition has been changed to Macintosh HD\Users\visuals\movies because it was last opened on computer 2. At this point Resolume realizes it cant find the media files and prompts to relocate, select root or define new root.

Taking this idea one step further, each computer could have root directories assigned to it so the user doesnt have to browse for a new one or select one thats been defined in the composition. I think something like this could drastically speed things up. Let's hear your thoughts on this.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: Solution for relocating clips

Post by cosmowe »

....+1

a work around for now: Use the Resolume Grabber to move your comp :D .....ehm.....for windows only :geek:

greeetings
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've discussed the idea of a master media folder in the office as well. It's a great idea for sure. Thanks for letting us know there's interest for it!

@cosmowe, can your app also update the comp file with new file locations without copying the files themselves? That would mean that if you're organised enough to store everything in the same folder structure on both computers, you could relatively easily move between computers.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

what do you think about allowing resolume to handle relative paths in .avc, relative to the composition file and directories below?
This way a user could collect the composition and the media files to an external usb3 ssd, plug in and open the comp, without any copying between machines.
The collector script is modified easily to add a choice for relative paths.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That would be another great option...

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

@Joris: nope..I'm sorry. The Grabber can not do that.
@cosmowe, can your app also update the comp file with new file locations without copying the files themselves? That would mean that if you're organised enough to store everything in the same folder structure on both computers, you could relatively easily move between computers.
...but... with any txt editor you could use the "find and change" + "Yes to all" ...option ;) .... As long as you have a very clean organized clipbase on booth computers. That should do the job I guess.

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris

Post by Joris »

Yes! I finally get to put in a feature request! :twisted:

+1 ?

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by pfelberg »

+1

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

+1

how about a search for missing files option like sony vegas has?

and whom it may concern,
I found that resolume handles relative paths in composition file, but the path is relative to arena/avenue.exe.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris

Post by Joris »

I don't know what you guys are +1' ing, but I was giving my +1 for the composition relocate feature on Cosmowe's grabber.