how do I minimize FX load on GPU?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
shamanicape
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

how do I minimize FX load on GPU?

Post by shamanicape »

I searched around the forum a bit and couldn't find any discussion of recommended FX usage for best performance. I am trying to reduce the load on my graphics card as much as possible (running many layers with many FX in Arena). Is there a prefered way to run an FX chain which is less processor intensive? Meaning, is it more efficient to add FX on each clip or layer; or do they generate the same load on the GPU? I already know about the option in preferences to turn off composition FX but does anyone know if layer FX generate more strain on the system than clip FX?

Cheers!
"The gestalt of our era is that of grand absurdity and sophisticated madness"
ShamanicApe.com

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: how do I minimize FX load on GPU?

Post by He2neg »

In the Resolume Options you´ll find the "deactivate Gloable effects & blend modes" if you dont need the blend modes turn that off an do all your effect stuff only on the single Clip.

And then test it ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You can turn off global effects and blend modes and still use effects on clips & layers just not on comps. But if you've got tons of layers, you are limited to the Alpha blend mode.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I think placing the effects in composition, so you don't have to place any effect twice, shuld be the most efficient regarding render passes, but the devs can tell more about that.

some effects like blur are very heavy on the gpu when the fx quality is set high.

if the previously mentioned are not enough,
you can resize your composition to lower resolution, so the graphics card has less pixels to process.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

I agree 100% with Raven. You may have to experiment and see which effects take more GPU power.

shamanicape
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by shamanicape »

Thanx all for the replies! I've been experimenting with this for a bit and what I have found seems counterintuitive. I originally thought that the composition FX would be the most efficient but it seems that they slow things down much more than dropping FX on individual clips. I have deactivated global FX and blend modes which has improved performance. Although it is counterintuitive, it seems like Arena performs better when I stack FX on individual clips rather than on the whole layer. I'm hoping to get a dev's input on this to confirm my findings. Cheers!
"The gestalt of our era is that of grand absurdity and sophisticated madness"
ShamanicApe.com

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

There's not much I can confirm nor deny, it all depends on which effects you use and how you use them.

But if you already found out what's fastest for you, I wouldn't worry about it. If the fps are flying, who cares what we think ;)