Windows 10 + GTX 980

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Dragonsoulj
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Windows 10 + GTX 980

Post by Dragonsoulj »

Working on a PC build to handle 12 outputs and ran into something odd. Just testing for now using R5 Arena demo install, on Windows 10 Pro with 3 GTX 980s. With nothing actually playing, on startup, I have 35-40 FPS. Playing videos starts a slow decrease in FPS, which I would expect. What is odd is when I disable and re-enable the global effects setting, again with nothing running, I usually get the system to run at 60 FPS. I've also noticed it jumps up to 60 and stays there when I open and close GPUZ to see what the load is.

Any thoughts on where to look for a fix? Should I be seeing 40 FPS when nothing is playing?

Dragonsoulj

Re: Windows 10 + GTX 980

Post by Dragonsoulj »

For those returning to this, it looks a few things could be the culprit. The biggest issue being the latest graphics driver (including the one just released Monday or Tuesday) causing odd frames per second. After rolling back to I think it was one of the 355s, disabling Core Parking (searching the register for "core park" and setting any keys with valuemin/valuemax to 0), ensuring the power profile is set to full power, and making changes in the NVIDIA control panel (setting the global setting for power management to Prefer maximum performance, and setting Arena's individual settings: threaded optimization off, triple buffering off, and vertical sync off). A few of these settings, particularly the NVIDIA control panel settings, may not be needed. Now we start out with almost 150 FPS.

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

What about screen tearing? ...I ask because you disabled vSync

Best wishes
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Dragonsoulj

Post by Dragonsoulj »

I haven't noticed an issue yet, however, I did plan on re-enabling it and drilling down to the issue. I think it is the NVIDIA driver that was the primary culprit. Disabling Thread Optimization and setting the power option to maximum performance should be the only two things I would also turn off.

Dragonsoulj

Post by Dragonsoulj »

Redid the setup with just the most recent 358 driver. Set the power setting to maximum performance and all is well. V-sync enabled.