black output with Resolume Arena

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
a-li-ce
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

black output with Resolume Arena

Post by a-li-ce »

Hello Resolume team and fans :)

I have just bought a new PC laptop and was really looking forward to play with it !
Here is the configuration :
- Schenker H506
- Windows 10 pro
- Intel(R) Core i7-6700HQ
- nvidia geforce GTX 970M
- Intel(R) Graphics 530
- 32 go ram
- SSD hard drives

When I run Resolume Arena 5.0.4 on the computer with no output, it's magic ! If I want to play 8 HD videos in the same time with effects, no lagging; and loading a full deck take less than a second !
BUT
Problem : Now I have just plugged a screen output (HD) with HDMI and .... no picture; just a black screen.
Details
- I don't have this output issue when Resolume is not used.
- I use the nvidia GPU by default for resolume , but if I force Resolume to use the intel card, I have an ouput !
But why would I use the intel card ?
- I have the same issue by using the mini-display port. so it's not a connection problem.
- All the drivers of the computer are updated.
- Another weird thing 1: Arena proposes me, when I plug my screen, and whatever graphic card I use, 2 displays : display 1... and display 4?!!!
- - Another weird thing 2 : A friend has nearly the same model than me but with the GTX 965M and it's running (on display 2...)

After reading other posts on the forum and having the report of my friend, I suspect a conflict between the GTX 970M drivers and Windows 10 to run the output in Resolume correctly but I am not sure; and if yes, has someone already experienced it and has a solution ?
I also do not have the MSI issue with Nahimi.

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: black output with Resolume Arena

Post by Joris »

We are getting a few reports of this happening, also on Asus rigs with the 970M.

The problem is that we need to get our hands on a computer with this issue. So short of randomly buying Asus and Schenker laptops and hoping they have this problem, there's nothing we can do about this. We can't fix what we can't see.

Would you be up for sending your new baby to us, insured and well? We'll be happy to take care of all the shipping costs.

That's actually how we figured out the issues with the MSI laptops, somebody was kind enough to send his new MSI laptop to us for a week :)

flux

Post by flux »

the solution is to deactivate Optimus in the UEFI/BIOS completely and just use the NVIDIA discreet graphics. Had the same problems with my Lenovo W530 and this solved the problem.

a-li-ce

Post by a-li-ce »

Thanks Joris & Flux for your helpul replies ;)

I cannot send you right now my laptop because I leave for 3 weeks with gigs and this laptop. I will PM you when I am back.

First solution which works : That's the good news !! (but not a complete satisfying long term solution for me if you think about the research effort you have to do with a machine you just have bought).
With the advices of Flux, I changed the graphic card mode in the bios.
Schenker H506 and friends (via clevo Control center) offers two modes : MSHybrid or Discrete mode
MSHybrid is the microsoft language translation for "Optimus" nvidia mode (there are lot of debates on forums about the fact that it is the same or not) and allows your computer to switch from intel to nvidia card whenever you need more or less energy for an application.
Discrete Mode makes the computer running just with nvidia card.
By activating the Discrete mode in the bios, Resolume runs normally.

For Schenker & XMG users, if you do not have access to this option via the control center of the computer (for example I don't have), here is the process to go to the Bios :
- System Parameters / Security and Update / Advanced starting settings - letting the computer rebooting; UEFI options // letting the computer rebooting; // Chipset & changing Hybride to Discrete

With more hours of research, here is also my first report, maybe it can already help you to find out if the problem would come from an intel / nvidia / windows 10 / resolume conflict (I suspect a kind of mix ;)), or something going on with OPEN GL ?:
Technical Info : nvidia Geforce GTX 970M ; driver 368.22 (last update) // output monitot : 1920.1080 with HDMI or minidisplay port.

- Mode Hybrid // Resolume Arena runs with using nvidia card // Full screen : the ouput full screen is black, no picture appears.
The monitor ouput is not the desktop (I checked by changing the desktop background color and there is no color on the monitor ouput), plus there is a little short "flash" when I press on Full screen.
So the monitor ouput disappears.
But the fulll screen output is present as the second Resolume window next to the interface one on the Windows bar (I hope this is clear ;)) on the computer.
In the menu Output of Resolume, Resolume displays are then named like display 1 and the monitor output display 4 - no resolution indication.
Show display info : nothing to see nowhere
Note that the computer screens are named 1 and 2 in Windows.

- Mode Hybrid // Resolume Arena runs with using nvidia card // windowed ouput : the window output appears on the right side of the monitor ouput.
The desktop background appears to be behind the window ouput.
The windowed output is present as the second Resolume window next to the interface one on the Windows bar.
Resolume displays are then named like display 1 and the monitor output display 4 - no resolution indication.
Show display info :
Resolume Arena
Display : Display 4
Monitor : Generic PnP Monitor
rendered : Geforce GTX 970M/PCIe/SSE2
Gfx Card : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970M

- Mode Hybrid : If I use the scaling trick at 100 % in the windows 10 screen paramaters (see link below), the full screen still does not work out BUT the the windowed ouput appears now in the middle of the ouput monitor.
It is then possible to extend the window ouput to make a full screen (so, also a solution)
Resolume displays are then named like display 1 and the monitor output display 4 - no resolution indication.
The windowed output is present as the second Resolume window next to the interface one on the Windows bar..
Show display info :
Resolume Arena

- Mode Hybrid // Resolume Arena runs with intel : [/u] everything works normally. The Output menu of Resolume displays are then named like display 1 and the monitor output display 4 - no resolution indication.
Show display info :
Resolume Arena
rendered : Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

- Mode Discrete // Resolume Arena opens with nvidia : [/u] everything works normally (full screen & window ouput & advanced ouputs) - Resolume displays are then named like display 2 and the monitor output display 3 - no resolution indication.
Show display info :
Resolume Arena
Display : Display 3

Other infos :
- I also checked with Resolume Arena 4.1.11 version and it's the same.
- I do not have this problem with my former laptop (dell alienware M15x // Windows 7 / Geforce GTX260M - driver 186.47 / Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 2.27 GHz ).
- The configuration Windows 10 / Intel Core i7 - 4720 HQ - Geforce GTX 965M - driver version 62.09 - with Resolume Arena seems to cause no trouble.

- I tried to downgrade my nvidia drivers until 359.06 version and it did not change something.

- In all the cases there is a need to force the Windows paramaters to 100 % - see https://www.thurrott.com/windows/window ... ay-scaling
I have already seen this tip from you on a similar topic Joris, so there is for sure something with Windows 10 scaling in the to do list even by solving this issue.

- I have also in my BIOS a GPU scaling performance option I can disable.
For the moment I let it on because I am out of time for nerdy research.
But I am back on it at the end of the month to go on.

Hope all these Info can help you out and the community.

Mad Matt

Post by Mad Matt »

Same problem here, I have a dell alienware 17 inch with Nvidia 970m.
I can t find any solution cause i can t make any change from my Bios...so far I'm desperate...do you guys have any idea on how to solve this issue if i cant access those settings from Bios?

Mad Matt

Post by Mad Matt »

Sorry guys, still didn't found any solution, also because my dell has no option in Bios to disable optimus.
I offer my computer to be shipped to you for a test Joris if this helps.

leadedge
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by leadedge »

This is a major problem for Spout in/out too. The information here is very valuable.

Mad Matt - try this :

https://github.com/leadedge/Spout2/raw/ ... DXmode.exe

It is an attempt to set NVIDIA as global for all applications.

Recently somebody found that an application profile will over-ride this if the settings have the integrated graphics selected. Then you have to change the individual application profile.

It has worried me for some time that on my system the driver comes with a profile "Total War: Arena (arena.exe)". Presumably the profile knows where it is installed but there is nothing to indicate this. So maybe you have to look at this profile as well.

a

Mad Matt

Post by Mad Matt »

Hi Leadege,
thanks for your reply; but sadly i have to say that this too didnt worked for me. The only update i can give is this one:
If i disable the intel hd graphic card something start to work: i can play arena on the external output, arena also works flawlessly (very high fps, no stuttering); no issues apart from the fact my video display seems to be a little zoomed in and it's quite unconfortable but the real problems are:
as soon as i restart the computer with those new settings, it switches the resolution of my display to 4k and it's impossible to work since i can't see anything (and there is no option to change resolution from nvidia panel).
in addition when i play arena fps drops down to 20-19 fps just for 1 hd video (before i could play it at 60 fps)

:shock: :shock: :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Mad Matt

Post by Mad Matt »

i tried setting also nvidia graphic card in global settings (on nvidia panel).
i tried also setting nvidia as physx accelerator but nothing so far seems to work,...

leadedge
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by leadedge »

My NVIDIA control panel has a Display section at left, with "Change resolution" and "Adjust desktop size and position". But I don't have Optimus.