Bugs!external monitor name error and can not out put on second monitor

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
viktorlin
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Bugs!external monitor name error and can not out put on second monitor

Post by viktorlin »

Hi
I'm using MSI gs43/windows10/gtx1060.And with latest nvidia driver intalled (geforce 368.79)
Not only the second display showed as display4 not display2.It also shows black screen no matter what I played when I set the output to that screen (in windows/fullscreen and advanced output mode).
In windows mode once I drag the output windows back to the main screen the content I played showed up and work normally.And if I then drag it back to the second screen ,it maintain to work normally.But if I set display mode to full screen it turn in to black immediately.
Interesting thing is that even though when output to external monitor in full screen mode shows black screen,if I use windows 10's print screen function .In the print screen photo I can see the output works normally~

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Bugs!external monitor name error and can not out put on second monitor

Post by Joris »

The black output problem is caused when running certain series of Nvidia GPUs, together with a Intel GPU and Optimus. After we try to put the pixels on the secondary display, Optimus takes over and scales our window to 0%.

We're looking into possible fixes. It could very well be this is a driver problem, since it's a very strange for a graphic card to set scaling to 0%.

A temporary workaround is to switch your primary and secondary screen. You can do this in your display settings, by assigning your secondary output as the main display.

When you then start Resolume, it will be able to output fullscreen again. After changing your main display, you can drag the Resolume interface to the laptop display again.

Don't worry too much about the monitor names. Deep inside the guts of Windows, monitors are just counted differently.

viktorlin

Post by viktorlin »

Hi Joris
Thank you for the reply!
I've try to update my Nvidia driver to the latest one (373.06).And update my Arena to both 5.1.0 and 5.1.2.
But the problem is still there.When I choose to display window on external monitor(I connect two external monitor this time)..No matter which display mode i use both window,full screen,advanced .It only output black screen.

I've use your method and confirm the work around.
1.Set the main monitor to external monitor
2.Open Resolume Arena
3.Set the main monitor back to laptop monitor
Then every output mode and display work correctly , I can also change setting on the output as long as I didn't restart Resolume Arena . Once I closed Resolume Arena and reopen it with main monitor setting on laptop monitor. The problem came back.

P.S. I've also got black output in external monitor using fullscreen mode on my MAXMSP and TouchDesigner when I use the old driver , But when I update my Nvidia driver to 373.06.The problem had been solved left Arena the only software with this problem.

It has been a month and two update version release ,Please solved this problem.
Thank you~

rayzordoll

Post by rayzordoll »

Wow, am I pleased I found this post. I have exactly the same problem. Have had my MSI GT60 since windows 8 (3 years, running resolume 4.2.2). Had exact prob then....upgraded to windows 8.1 (last year sometime) seemed to fix it...then upgraded to win 10 and back to same problem. I am also keen to hear if there has been any fixes for this Nvidia Optimus graphics card issue from resolume's end. PS thank you in advance love your work.

Amritus

Post by Amritus »

I have the same problem. I have an Intel Skull Canyon with a Razer Core and MSI 1080 GTX Gaming X 8G.

The drivers for everything in Windows 10 are the latest as of 1 day.
It is a bitter odd it works in every other program except for Resolume Arena. Same problem no matter version.

I did another workaround and use Spout and send video to Mapio as that program can send to the projectors.

I just started using this setup 26 hours ago so haven't done so much testing yet.

But... Sweet to have a 22 inch touchscreen with Resolume. :)

Amritus

Post by Amritus »

Still no solution to this problem?

I upgraded to the drivers released on 24th January just a few days ago. Still the same problem.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We're in touch with MSI Germany, and they say the problem has been fixed in the latest Windows 10 Preview build (14986.1000, RS2)

The public release of RS2 is rumoured to be set for Mar. 2017.

This would confirm that it's an Optimus bug, and unfortunately this means it's out of our hands to do something about it in the meantime.