Crossfader not working (as expected) Arena advanced output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
HI5
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Crossfader not working (as expected) Arena advanced output

Post by HI5 »

Hey there i had some buttons and an encoder left for midi mapping and used it for the corssfader and assign to channel A & B functions. I did not use these functions before in my personal workflow.

I started using it yesterday and recognized that the preview monitor does what i expect (When i fade to A i only see what is assigned to A in the preview) but there is no effect on the advanced output mapping.

Ill reread the manual now. Should the crossfader work in advanced output?

HI5

Re: Crossfader not working (as expected) Arena advanced output

Post by HI5 »

Is it cause im routing layers to different slices in advanced output?

Reread the manual & the only thing differs from my setup / workflow to the manual is that i dont use Audio with resolume so my Audio Slider is set to 0 all the time.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

"When you have a hammer, not everything is a nail."

Keep in mind that by routing a layer to a slice, you actively decide to bypass the composition completely. When a layer is routed to a slice, all layer and clip effects will still be applied, but blend modes and composition effects will not! The slice will simply render all content with straight alpha on top of the other slices.

Layer to slice routing can let you make setups very quickly, but you can also very quickly paint yourself into a corner. It's best used to display layers of content on separate screens, when you are sure you never want to mix them. Don't use it as a quick way to position content. If that's what you want to do, use the position and scale properties on the layer instead. We actually have a whole chapter of this manual dedicated to explaining how this works!

From https://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/layertoslicerouting

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Is it cause im routing layers to different slices in advanced output?
Yes!

HI5

Post by HI5 »

Thx for your reply Joris.
I see & Ill check my alternatives. I decided to work with slices long time ago.

I use slices cause i work with 3HToGO and have some foreground layers wich make use of a 3840x800 Widescreen while on the backround i often work with 3x 1280x800 content.

I was not able to do that with screens long time ago. Never tried it again.

Ill dive deep into this stuff and rethink my mapping architecture.

EDIT: THX to Oaktown too. Always comin up with precise statements.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It's like ever since Layer to Slice routing came out, people forgot that layers have a size and position as well.

Here's a super simple setup (made in Avenue even) for a Triplehead, that has layers to position content on the left, middle, right projector, as well as over all of them.
Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 11.56.13.png
Attachments
NotEverythingIsANail.avc
(33.9 KiB) Downloaded 308 times

HI5

Post by HI5 »

It's like ever since Layer to Slice routing came out, people forgot that layers have a size and position as well.

Here's a super simple setup (made in Avenue even) for a Triplehead, that has layers to position content on the left, middle, right projector, as well as over all of them.
I started doing it this way but decided to start using layer to slice to save layers due to limited archtitecture of my midi controllers. I already put myself into a corner cause im workin' with the 3Head and at least 2 to 3 projectors.
So i always have a emulated native screen of 2560x800 or 3840x800.

I always build the layers up like this:

Layer8: Layer for laser emulation
Layer7: FX Clips for Foreground Layer5 getting input from layer5 routed to duplicated slices on top of layer5's
Layer6: FX Clips for Foreground Layer4 getting input from layer4 routed to duplicated slices on top of layer4's
Layer5: Foreground Clips2 1280x800 routed to different slices all over the 2560x800 / 3840x800 output Mapping
also used for 3d Obejcts in the way of light
Layer4: Foreground Clips1 1280x800 routed to different slices all over the 2560x800 / 3840x800 output Mapping also used for 3d Obejcts in the way of light
Layer3: FX2 Clips for Backround Layer (Blocks&other Stuff) getting input from layer1 routed to duplicated slices on top of layer1's
Layer2: FX1 Clips for Backround Layer (Strippers&Mirrors) getting input from layer1 routed to duplicated slices on top of layer1's
Layer1: Backround clips 1280x800 routed to different slices all over the 2560x800 / 3840x800 output Mapping

Joris

Post by Joris »

Even if your output is more complex that a basic three screen setup, I really recommend using the composition to "compose" your output. That's what it is for.

There are a bunch of techniques you can use to position content playing in a layer on multiple places in the composition. We touch on a few techniques in the manual, and there are a few plugins floating around that people developed specifically for this as well.

If you design a workflow where you can use your composition positions as a sort of template, you also eliminate the need for duplicated slices in the output. The only thing you then need the Advanced Output for is to adjust your template to line up with the actual stage.

HI5

Post by HI5 »

ill rethink it all when im done with my regular work :roll:
Maybe ill open up a new thread if im further into it and tried it with small example build ups.

This one is done for now THX for the help.