Target clip to specific layer?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
aftermathematic
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Target clip to specific layer?

Post by aftermathematic »

I have 3 pages of clips, 5 layers per page (5x8 = 40 clips per page)

I'd like to target the clips on page 1 to "Layer One", clips on page 2 to "Layer Two" and so on...

Is it possible to target clips to a specific layer (not necessarily the active layer) ? If so, how?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Target clip to specific layer?

Post by Arvol »

I'm going to assume this is due to a midi controller?
Why not just place 40 clips on layer 1 and 40 clips on layer 3, so on and so on?

I tried to do something similar to you years back, I spent more time trying to figure out what layer 3 column 6 was on my screen AND then match it up and find layer 3 column 6 on my controller (typically 15-20 seconds)

I'm just shooting in the dark here lol.
If I'm on the right track with your thought process, maybe look into one of these, MUCH easier. simply touch the clip you want to play:
https://www.amazon.com/Gechic-15-6-Inch ... B01M9CXOTV

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

aftermathematic wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 23:35 I have 3 pages of clips, 5 layers per page (5x8 = 40 clips per page)

I'd like to target the clips on page 1 to "Layer One", clips on page 2 to "Layer Two" and so on...

Is it possible to target clips to a specific layer (not necessarily the active layer) ? If so, how?
I don't believe you can set a clip target based on the page you're in. But you could midi page the page activation and layer select to the same button so any clip you choose would go to it.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

aftermathematic wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 23:35 I have 3 pages of clips, 5 layers per page (5x8 = 40 clips per page)
I think when you say "pages" you might mean "Decks". https://resolume.com/support/en/decks
Decks are the sets of clips you can switch between.
Resolume can only play clips from the currently selected deck, you can't launch clips from other decks.
You can choose the target mode for your clips in the clip menu or the composition menu.
The options are
- Active layer : will launch the clip in the selected layer
- own layer: will launch the clip in the layer the clip is in (default)
- Free layer: will launch the clip in the first layer that's not playing.

Sending the clip to a specific layer by midi is currently not possible.
You can do it however by dragging the clip to the layer's clip thumbnail slot.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

aftermathematic

Yes I meant decks.

One deck has videoclips of songs that I'm playing (I'm a DJ), and that are being synced via SMTPE.
I want to target those clips to the layer that I use for the videoclips.

I have another deck which has only overlays and such. I want those to be always targeted to the layer above the one for the videoclips.

Obviously the simple solution would be to always first select the correct layer, and then trigger the clip targeted to 'Active Layer', but I was wondering if the same thing would be possible in an easier fashion...

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Try using Groups.
The Layer Target of a Clip works relative the Group it's in.
I would suggest making two Groups, one for the SMPTE controlled video clips and another for the overlay clips.

Clips out of the Overlay group will never be triggered in the Group for the Video Clips because the Layer Target will look for a Layer within it's own group.

aftermathematic

edwin wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 14:58 Try using Groups.
The Layer Target of a Clip works relative the Group it's in.
I would suggest making two Groups, one for the SMPTE controlled video clips and another for the overlay clips.

Clips out of the Overlay group will never be triggered in the Group for the Video Clips because the Layer Target will look for a Layer within it's own group.
Thanks, i'll give this a go!