Using Slice Transform with Mask Layer and Effect Layer

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
stevo
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Using Slice Transform with Mask Layer and Effect Layer

Post by stevo »

Hi there,

I'm trying to do some blinky slices with Slice Transform.
When I apply the blink sequence (slice a, than slice b+c, than all, ..) direct to the clips, lets say 8 clips for an 8 step sequence, it works fine for me.
But when Im trying to split content and blink position for more flexibility I have an issue.

My idea was to combine my content from layer 1 with a mask layer above using slice transform in that layer, but I get a cropped result when using the mask scaling option.
slice transform crop.PNG
Also with the other slice transform scaling options its seems wrong what I get, see below. Beside the wrong size its more like a cropped mask option shows the content behind, than a repetition of the same content in any slice as usual.

If I just use the effect layer (with deactivated mask option) the video is not cropped I get an overlay of layer 1 and 2. If 1 is dark, there is nothing the effect can use. hmm

Thanks a lot for your help <3
Attachments
slice transform stretch.PNG
slice transform fit.PNG

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Using Slice Transform with Mask Layer and Effect Layer

Post by Joris »

Can you attach your composition?

stevo

Post by stevo »

Hi Joris,

sorry for my late replay. It was a busy week.

Here I've attached a new composition (Slice test) I've created from scratch and which does not show the behavior reported above. The only issue I can see at the moment is a reduced brightness. But probably there is a simple solution for that?
(Content with Slice Transform on the same layer is brighter than with Slice Transform on the masklayer above)

In addition I have a compositions (Slice test2), quite similar, where I got the crop error described in my first post but do not get the reduced brightness :lol:

Im curious about the reason for that :-)

Sven
Attachments
Slice test.rar
advanced output xml
(3.54 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
slice test.avc
(50.18 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Slice test2.avc
(321.11 KiB) Downloaded 393 times

stevo

Post by stevo »

Now I've used the working example, put layer 1 and 2 upwards to do something below and this is somehow the trigger for the crop issue. Its not possible to repair that issue be resorting as before. Hope that helps :idea:

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Can you send your advanced output xml file?

stevo

Post by stevo »

Hi Oaktown,

the XML File is zipped as *.rar.

I've found one more thing while playing with the "slice test". see below
Attachments
slice test with lines.avc
(48.99 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
when using a line source in layer1 and flipping some tiles in the mask layer slice transform it is visible that the &quot;slice test&quot; file is an overlay of 2 x lines with different directions. in this example the top layer is using fill scaling and the bacground picture using mask scaling
when using a line source in layer1 and flipping some tiles in the mask layer slice transform it is visible that the "slice test" file is an overlay of 2 x lines with different directions. in this example the top layer is using fill scaling and the bacground picture using mask scaling

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The first thing to keep in mind when using Effect Clips, is that the transparency and render order of the layers come into play. The visual result of an Effect Clip is different from the same effect applied directly on a clip or layer.

When applied on a clip, the result of the effect replaces the original clip. When applied as an effect clip, the effect renders on top of the result of the layers below. So if you have transparency, you will see the layers below, and then the result of the changes made by the effect on top of that.

So in this case, this is expected behaviour.

In the case of the Slice Transform, you can enable the Black BG toggle to render the result of the effect clip on black. You can also place a Solid Color effect at the end of the effect chain of the Effect Clip, with its color set to black and Show Image enabled.

stevo

Post by stevo »

Hi Joris,

thank for the explanation :-)

In fact: Using the Black BG toggle I get the result I'm looking for <3
Do you have any idea how to work with 2 or more of those layer bundles (lower layer: footage, upper layer: slice transform)

Not sure if it is worth for you to look into that behavier in combination of a mask layer using slice transform as effect clips. The example with and without that behavior are attached above and there was some moments where it also worked as required (actually before i moved the 2 layers upwards to do something behind).

This limitation is somehow similar to the Black BG toggle >> How to display content behind and blend them properly?
I mean when I just use slice transform in the clip instead of a effect layer I loose the flexibility with the content but I'm able to blend several layers as usual.

Thanks and greetings
Sven