Mirroring backup between windows and mac

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
djsky
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Mirroring backup between windows and mac

Post by djsky »

I have resolume arena installed in a club on a windows machine. Outputs are artnet panels and a small led on a hdmi output.

I personally only carry a MacBook Pro with me, and have my backup arena installed on it for offline design/etc, but currently struggle to transfer compositions and media between the two. I can work round it, by locating the media etc, but was wondering if there was a “best practice” for this situation.... can the media location be easily recognised by both the windows and the Mac machines without having to store loads of media in just one directory, or even having to locate it each time at all?

Also, I’ve never tried it, but with the advanced output preset saved, will this also work without “locating” all the artnet lumiverses like I have to the media?

Finally what files need to be transferred between the pc and the Mac to make it as a full backup - I guess on top of the media, composition and output preset, what about midi mappings and dmx artnet input shortcuts? Are they saved elsewhere?

Cheers.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Mirroring backup between windows and mac

Post by Zoltán »

To make a full backup, copying the Documents/Resolume Arena folder and your footage should be enough.

If you store all your media in a specific folder on both machines, maybe on your /Users/[YourUserName]/Desktop/Footage folder, saving a composition on one machine, moving it to the other one, and opening it, your files should be already in place, or just need a simple relocation.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

djsky
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by djsky »

Yeah, I was hoping by creating a “media” folder inside the documents/resolume arena folder that both machines would pick the media from that, but because the parent folder structure is different between Mac and windows, they don’t marry up without having to “relocate” all the media each time between machines.

Is there a way to make resolume ignore the parent directories and simply use the “documents/resolume arena” as a “working directory”?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If you use Media manager to collect your footage to a folder, you can copy the bundle to the new machine, and open the composition from the collection with the files already in place.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu