Video Quality Lost - Input to Output

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Video Quality Lost - Input to Output

Post by Zoltán »

Well, if you rotate the 10x10 px slice without scaling, you can see the bleed on your output still, even with pixel perfectly aligned slices.

In v5 you could choose between tri-linear and nearest neighbor scaling in preferences. Resolume now uses tri-linear on the output (since v6). With the nearest neighbor mode, the bleed doesn't seem to happen in 5.

Switching back to nearest neighbor scaling would have pixelated scaling results, it could be worse than having 1 px of bleed.

If you'd need to choose, - and as this hasn't come up in the few years where Resolume 6 an 7 was out, - I'd guess the bleed is a lesser issue than pixelation, right?

240x200px slice scaled up to 1080p:
tri-linear:
Képernyőfotó 2020-03-11 - 11.38.57.png
nearest neighbor:
Képernyőfotó 2020-03-11 - 11.39.19.png
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Ooooooh, that's interesting. Sure, smoother scaling is probably the better option for the majority of the Resolume user base.

When you're trying to work pixel accurate on LED, the difference between a color accurate pixel and a pixel with bleed is pretty noticeable. I've spent a lot of time fudging slices by half a pixel to get rid of strange colors at edges and weird black seams where slices were stitched together. At least good to know what the cause is, this has had a few of us baffled for a while now. It was especially weird because at a festival with a setup that had this problem, every VJ running Resolume needed the same fudging, but those with other systems didn't.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Joris wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 16:44 I've spent a lot of time fudging slices by half a pixel to get rid of strange colors at edges and weird black seams where slices were stitched together.
Yes!! When people send me the leds pixel map's scheme I allways redesign my output to deal with those bleedings. I use to make all my slices 4px smaller to avoid the color overflow.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Hmm, so it would be better to have the option to choose...
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Zyper
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Zyper »

I was sure this will end on some interesting discussions. Zoltan you're so right ! good point, didn't check the output.

For Res 5 i was using the no blend solution as I was working a lot with P40 and P20 Led walls. Was looking much better with custom made content. But didn't use it since.

The windows scaling option should be better mentionned in resolume, I'm sure this happen to a lot of people without knowing where the problem comes from.

Up to my next Question about video quality :

4k comp with 4k layer playing 4k content with/without 4k slice transform.

Without slice transform quality is perfect.
With slice transform (who doesn't scale anythin) I'm loosing quality.

Is that an algorithm thing or I'm missing something ?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Zyper wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 17:40 Without slice transform quality is perfect.
With slice transform (who doesn't scale anythin) I'm loosing quality.
Could you post a screenshot of how the slice transform effect is set up?
Thanks!