Output issue with Blackmagic ultrastudio 4K Extreme

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
krisf
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Output issue with Blackmagic ultrastudio 4K Extreme

Post by krisf »

Hi,

I've a question about the output of Arena. Using Resolume's Advanced output ,we noticed a difference in color between the input selection tab and the output transformation tab. I've included a screen recording movie with an example.

https://we.tl/t-B0P65OC8ea

We use Arena mainly for the playback of stills/jpgs.

We also run other video playback software (Softron) and we noticed that Arena does a minimal color correction on the output comparing with the Softron software.

So could you explain me the difference between the input selection and the output transformation tab?I've not added extra filters or something else.

Thanks,
Kris

Our current setup:
MacMini 2018
Output: SDI through Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K extreme

boris.lema
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Output issue with Blackmagic ultrastudio 4K Extreme

Post by boris.lema »

i guess your looking at the selection of the slice that is grayed out... after you select the screen (Not the slice) in the input tab everything turns out better… ?

krisf

Post by krisf »

So it means the grayed out look of the image is just illustrating the selection of the Slice.
Thanks Boris. Issue 1 solved.

Issue 2:
Color difference of the output image compared to other playback software.
Arena seems to give the jpg a little bit more saturation and contrast.
It makes no difference using the deckling output or the HDMI output of the MacMini itself.

Does I have used the correct settings for the Decklink Ultrastudio card? (see wetransfer link in first post)
The reason why this is so important: We use one MacMini with Arena to playback stills (jpg's) and one MacMini with Softron "On the Air video" to playback Quicktime Prores movies. Sometimes we have to cut from the last frame of a movie to a jpg (is an export from the last frame of the movie) to set up a new movie in the playlist on the other MacMini. I hope you can still follow.

A solution is to use Arena twice on both MacMini's. But that's too easy.
Someone who could give some advice?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Color difference of the output image compared to other playback software.
Arena seems to give the jpg a little bit more saturation and contrast.
It makes no difference using the deckling output or the HDMI output of the MacMini itself.
Both ProRes and Jpeg are lossy formats but they use different subsampling schemes (4:2:2 vs 4:2:0) so you're likely to get different results when you put them side by side. I would recommend trying PNG format for your stills instead of JPEG.
The reason why this is so important: We use one MacMini with Arena to playback stills (jpg's) and one MacMini with Softron "On the Air video" to playback Quicktime Prores movies. Sometimes we have to cut from the last frame of a movie to a jpg (is an export from the last frame of the movie) to set up a new movie in the playlist on the other MacMini. I hope you can still follow.

A solution is to use Arena twice on both MacMini's. But that's too easy.
Someone who could give some advice?
Why don't you use Arena on one computer and set your videos to pause on last frame?

krisf

Post by krisf »

Both ProRes and Jpeg are lossy formats but they use different subsampling schemes (4:2:2 vs 4:2:0) so you're likely to get different results when you put them side by side. I would recommend trying PNG format for your stills instead of JPEG.
Exactly, I tried a PNG file with the same result. So it's another reason.
Why don't you use Arena on one computer and set your videos to pause on last frame?
Because I need two separate outputs. It's a live on tape multi camera show with a monitor behind the host speaker.
On that monitor we playback the still images.

To illustrate the issue I ve made a new screen recording.
https://we.tl/t-hdxOKsKgdH

In Arena you see a Quicktime Prores4 422 file of one frame
and
a PNG image (is an export from the Quicktime Prores 422 file).
Look at the color difference in the Output Monitor when I switch between the two sources...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Try doing a screenshot of your ProRes movie in Arena using [Snapshot] in the [Output] menu.

It will create a PNG file which should match the colors of your ProRes file. I'm attaching the file that I used in this comparison:

phpBB [video]
Attachments
Rainbow ProRes 422.mov.zip
(433.72 KiB) Downloaded 645 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

The color difference between your png and prores file could also be caused by your exporter.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

krisf

Post by krisf »

Try doing a screenshot of your ProRes movie in Arena using [Snapshot] in the [Output] menu.
My conclusion is that Arena uses another "renderer" to process an output image comparing with my other playback software, Softron On the Air Video.

This application uses the VideoToolbox Framework developped by Apple. So it's not just with JPG or PNG files, it's related to all supported media. I've done some tests with the NDI output of Arena and Softron On the Air Video. So the Blackmagic device has nothing to do with it.

The problem is: I've no reference which application reflects the "right" output...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could you share some sample files, prores and png you see the difference with?
Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

krisf

Post by krisf »

To illustrate the issue I ve made a new screen recording.
https://we.tl/t-hdxOKsKgdH

In Arena you see a Quicktime Prores4 422 file of one frame
and
a PNG image (is an export from the Quicktime Prores 422 file).
Look at the color difference in the Output Monitor when I switch between the two sources...
I made a new link with the sample files included: https://we.tl/t-58kPUux0zy

In Arena there is a clear difference. But when you import the 2 files in a NLE application like Adobe Premiere Pro, the output is the same when you switch between them.