Slice transform scaling issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
LegitJesseee
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Slice transform scaling issue

Post by LegitJesseee »

Hey guys! I'm having a super weird slice transform bug.

So basically, I've got 3 slices on my 3840x2160 canvas:
- 1 3840x1080 slice that feeds my main LED wall
- 2 1920x1080 slices that feed external IMAG LED walls

My problem is that when I play a 1920x1080 clip and assign it a Clip Transform to one of the 1920x1080 slices, the output is tiny! (effect is set to fill btw)

I've checked all my comp/layer/group/clip scale settings, and everything is correct! I have no idea why a 1080 clip is not scaling correctly to a 1080 slice.

If it helps, the Clip Transform is being assigned from the layer, and not the clip... but doing it on either result in the same issue.

This is what my output looks like: (the clip of the singer is 1920x1080, and should be full size in that bottom right 1920x1080 quadrant!)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Slice transform scaling issue

Post by Zoltán »

Could you attach some screenshots of your clip and layer settings, and the Input layout from your Advanced output?
Thanks!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

EBMCreative
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by EBMCreative »

I have the same problem. Did you ever get this fixed?

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

I have had some time today to really dig into this.

I have discovered that I have to have the layer the same size as the composition for this to work correctly.

WHY?

My comp is 5000x2290
I have about 50 different slices that are for all different screens plus a few helper/cheat slices to combine separate screens into one bigger screen.

If i have the layer at the size of the content size 1920x1080 or what ever it would be, which is the most efficient so it is not rendering out a bunch of black pixels I can't get the slice transform to fill the screen unless I zoom the layer 215%

But if I put the layer at the same size as the composition then I don't have to zoom and I don't need to do much of the fit and fill as most of the screens are smaller then the clips I will be playing.

This seems like this is wrong. Why does the layer size need to be the same as the composition size? Why doesn't slice transform take what ever clip on what ever sized layer and apply to the slice and fit/fill/stretch for what is selected.

This seems like a major fopah and causes a lot of wasted rendering of the graphics card/processor/ram/finite computer resources with having to render a 5000x2290 image to fill a 1920x1080 or smaller output slice.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Set Layer Auto size to stretch
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

I have tried that. It doesn't work.

I am also having a problem with with how this is all working and doesn't make any sense.

Comp size is 5000x2290
I have a slice that is 3200 x 640
I have content made for the slice at 3200x640.

Layer size at 3300x640 or 5000x2290
I have to scale up or down and it doesn't ever line up.

This issue is the same for all my content made for specific screen sizes.

If the content is made the same pixel size as the slice why does it not fit to the slice? 😡😡😡

I am absolutely confused and fris with the whole process right now.

tijnisfijn
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by tijnisfijn »

You are completely right there is one Mode missing from the slice transform. None. Which takes exactly the slice size from the middle of the footage and moved it to the slice. A option that is part of the wire node Fit Fill Stretch. And should also be part of the slide transform effect i think.

Made a little movie to clarify....
phpBB [video]

I made a Wire version for you that does the job it's not as fancy as the original slides transform. But it does have this extra option. :D Enjoy. I hope this works for you until there is a update in the real slice transport effect.
Attachments
Slice Transform by Tijn.cwired
(15.78 KiB) Downloaded 192 times

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

Thank you.

I will have a look after the new year and let you know.

I'm trying to get things set up so a monkey can put any piece of content last minute and not worry that it's too big or small. I don't care about the aspect ratio as much as I do when a screen has a postage stamp for content.

Before I got to the system they were sending layers and groups directly to the slice in advanced output with about 20 copies of each slice stacked and couldn't understand why they had problems.

The only stacked slices I have now are helper/cheat slices to combine many slices to make one screen.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Works just fine for me with these settings, layer at composition size.

We're working on some improvements for the slice transform which should help with your case.
Attachments
Képernyőfotó 2023-12-31 - 11.51.49.png
Képernyőfotó 2023-12-31 - 11.53.31.png

EBMCreative

Post by EBMCreative »

Thank you. I understand and look forward to it.