Avenue 7.2.1 - connecting MIDI-device freezes software

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
70hundert
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Avenue 7.2.1 - connecting MIDI-device freezes software

Post by 70hundert »

Hello there!

I'm experiencing some serious issues recently with my version of Resolume Avenue 7.2.1.

I created a custom map for my Novation LaunchControl XL to work with Resolume Avenue which worked great. But since 2 weeks I'm having problems with the implementation of the MIDI-device.

I started the Resolume software and usually my MIDI-device was already connected with Resolume, but this time it wasn't. So i opened the preferences and the MIDI-tab, where i saw it was deselected. So i selected my devices in- and output again, but suddenly my whole Resolume software froze somehow: the running video-clip still ran, but i couldn't choose any other clip nor do anything else further on. I had to close Resolume via the task manager. Trying to restart the software didn't work out, although there was a task "Resolume Avenue" visible in the task manager at the "background processes". Trying to close this task does not work, so the Resolume software doesn#t quit correctly anymore.

So i had to reboot and try to start Resolume again, which didn't work either. Finally I removed all files from the Resolume-document-folder, which enabled me to start Resolume.

But now ever since i try to add the Novation Launch Control XL in the preferences, the software freezes again and i have to kill the task via the task manager. It happens when i enable/select the MIDI input device usually, not on the MIDI output device.

So what is going on there? Any tips that might help?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Avenue 7.2.1 - connecting MIDI-device freezes software

Post by Zoltán »

Any other midi devices you have like virtual routing or Bomes?

Does the Launch control work fine in other apps?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

70hundert

Post by 70hundert »

don't use the Novation Launch Control for anything else, neither than any apps.

Have deleted the driver for the midi-device in the hardware configuration, rebooted, but still the same issue. Resolume Avenue freezes when adding this midi-device, even with the base configuration and composition.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

70hundert wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 07:36 don't use the Novation Launch Control for anything else, neither than any apps.
Can you try another program like Ableton, to see if it's the controller/driver or an issue in Resolume?

Could you also please send us the Resolume log file via the feedback tab in preferences?
Thanks!
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

70hundert

Post by 70hundert »

Hello again Zoltan!

I downloaded an Ableton Live trial version and installed it for testing purposes. On first try the MIDI-controller didnt work, the software froze as well.

So I did another reboot and started Ableton Live again. This time the system set up a new driver for the MIDI-controller, and everything worked fine.

My first tests in Resolume Avenue look good too so far. Gonna test it more soon, but looks good for now.

Strange thing is, that i previously removed the complete driver from the MIDI-controller and re-installed it. This did not help. Seems like it has something to do with my usb-extension-cable which has some hickups.
So sorry for "panicking"...

One another question I do have regarding the MIDI-shortcuts: is there a way to use a button for "next layer" or "previous layer"? I found a solution for next/previous clip, but not for layer.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Great to hear the controller works now with Resolume with the new drivers!
70hundert wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 08:57 One another question I do have regarding the MIDI-shortcuts: is there a way to use a button for "next layer" or "previous layer"? I found a solution for next/previous clip, but not for layer.
I'm sorry, navigating layers up and down is not possible in Resolume currently natively.
There could be third party solutions like the one suggested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19173

70hundert

Post by 70hundert »

I'm sorry, navigating layers up and down is not possible in Resolume currently natively.
There could be third party solutions like the one suggested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19173
Thanks again for answering... I did it another way via OSC and a tablet, with which I'm choosing the layers now. Would have been handy being able to do it with the MIDI-controller as well, as I can navigate with it to the next or previous clip of the selected layer... maybe a feature for the future? ;)

Cheers,

Marcel

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

On the forum we have now a feature voting system in https://resolume.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6 Feel free to post this there too, so we would see how others would find this feature, and don't forget to vote ;)