NDI Output Very High DPC Latency Incurred

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
eventwebcasting
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

NDI Output Very High DPC Latency Incurred

Post by eventwebcasting »

Howdy folks,
This is a long one so thanks for tuning in and lending an ear!

TLDR:
Other full NDI sources act normally, Resolume causes very high DPC latency for ndis.sys specifically causing dropped frames on the other NDI sources and late Dante packets. Any help is much appreciated!

Resolume Avenue 7.2.1.70674
Vmix 23
Dante Virtual Soundcard
NDI Tools 4.5.3
3 x Birddog P200 Full NDI cameras
2 x BD Flex on Canon XA11's
Cisco SG350x
machine 1:
i9 10900x, MSI X299Pro, 32GB, RTX2070super
applications running:
vmix23, DVS, latencymon

Machine 2:
i7 7820x, ASUS Mark1 x299, 32GB, RTX2070super
application running
Resolume Arena, Vmix23, DVS, latencymon

Scenerio 1:
Machine 2 running only resolume with NDI output to studio monitor on local machine ingesting the feed everything is fine and works perfectly and highest recorded DPC values for ndis.sys hover around 0.14ms

Scenerio 2.
Machine 2 running only resolume with NDI output to vmix on local machine ingesting only resolume out via ndi its fine and working within an acceptable range with highest recorded DPC values for ndis.sys hover around 0.28ms

Scenerio 3: (This is where it gets interesting)
Machine 2 running only resolume with NDI output to vmix on machine 1 ingesting only resolume via NDI it doesnt like this at all... I get DPC values on machine 1 for ndis.sys upwards of 1.7ms which isnt usable,

Normally on machine 1 with all 5 to 7 of my full NDI cameras and DVS running I get DPC values for ndis.sys hovering around .2ms its only when I bring in resolume that the latency becomes so much it starts to affect other processing such as NDI and Dante.

Scenerio 4. here is the kicker!
Machine 2 running only resolume with NDI output to local vmix, then using an NDI output of vmix to send this back out.. if I ingest this NDI source into machine 1 my DPC latency for ndis.sys are within reason hovering around 0.5ms, however machine 2 DPC latency is through the roof at about 2ms.

Is there something going on with the NDI libraries mismatch? I am not sure how to tell what version resolume has integrated but as stated above all my systems are using NDI 4.5.3

Thanks y'all!
Mike

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: NDI Output Very High DPC Latency Incurred

Post by Zoltán »

Interesting.
Resolume uses the NDI libraries provided by Newtek. (We updated the NDI version with the Resolume 7.2.0 release. to 4.5)
We pass the texture to the libs and the libs take care of everything else.

If you'd like to try the latest NDI libs on windows, try replacing the ProcessingNDI.dll in the Resolume Arena program folder. You can get the latest NDI libs here https://www.ndi.tv/sdk/
Should work out of the box.
Let us know if this helps!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu