Recorded Output Frame Rate Issue

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vectorfuton
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Recorded Output Frame Rate Issue

Post by vectorfuton »

So I'm having some issues with the Record feature. Any help figuring out how to free up resources or fine tune my system so that when I use it I don't start dropping frames like mad would be most welcome. I can be running an effect heavy column no prob one second, but as soon as I turn on Record, things get sluggish, and I find that when I look at the rendered footage after it has been recorded, the frame rate is all sped / messed up for some reason.

The clips I'm using are 30fps, the composition is set to 30fps. I have tried recording just a single clip at a time without any fx on it and experienced zero fps drop, and when I play back that rendered footage then there is no frame issue. But with the realtime fx-heavy processing of multiple layers, I often see the fps drop to 15, and then when I check the recorded takes, the speed is all outta wack.

Is this because it's 'stitching together' the frames from the slower fps which I saw in the output monitor while it was recording, and so once put back together causes the sped up effect? And if so, what are some recommended strategies for tackling this issue? I'd looked into trying a Clip Render approach, but given what I have in mind I need to use the global Record function instead...

Hope my question makes sense!

vectorfuton
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Recorded Output Frame Rate Issue

Post by vectorfuton »

So I dug around the forums some more and found suggestions to make sure that the drives the files are being read from should be different from where they are recorded to. So then I tried moving some files around, but still had dropped frame rate issue. I have an SSD native to my laptop, and then an external HDD. I am trying to record 4K footage at 30fps in a 4K composition, so am wondering if the high file size is too much for realtime recording onto HDD. But then, if I *read* the files off the HDD and try to record to SSD, it would present the same problem but in reverse, no?

If there were some sort of one SSD drive to another SSD read/write solution, would this eliminate the problems of dropped frames recording with 4K footage?

I have taken the advice offered elsewhere and reduced the composition size to 1080 instead of 4k, and have noticed the frame drop issue go away, but ideally I would be able to capture all the FX and work and layering in the high resolution the material was captured at rather than downgraded just so as to work.

In the meantime I will downscale and do what I can with a 1080 edit, but if there are any other insights or suggestions as to how to rectify this issue, help would be appreciated! :D

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Recorded Output Frame Rate Issue

Post by Zoltán »

Playing back and recording at the same time should be no problem for a modern SSD, unless it's almost full.
If the CPU can't handle real time 4k encoding in either of the formats available in Resolume, then you could try to go to OBS via Syphon or Spout, and let it encode to h264. If you have an nvidia GPU, NVENC hardware encoding could give nicer results.
With many effects, and layers, it's probably the GPU which can't keep up though.

Downscaling your source files might not be necessary if they are DXV. Just set the composition to 1080p, that should already help a lot.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu