DXV codec.... very impressed!

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

DXV codec.... very impressed!

Post by VJair »

i just ran some tests with the new DXV codec and i am seriously impressed!

firts of all i tried rendering a clip in 640x480 in both picvideo mjpeg at full settings ( which is what i normaly use for my clips ) and one in the new DVX codec.

there wasnt that much difference between the two, DXV was performing better, but only by a few frames.

then i rendered at 720p, and the difference was very noticable! 4 vids at 720p in DXV codec is outperforming 2 vids at 720p in picvideo mjeg!

realy top work all involved in sorting out this new codec, you have opened the door to much more system efficient multi screen projection. Fior a while, i have been wondering about getting a dual or tripple head to go, and this has realy sealed the deal for me :)

racher
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: DXV codec.... very impressed!

Post by racher »

That's really exciting about the DXV codec. I'd love to bump up my resolution to HD without a performance hit. My only disappointment is that the codec doesn't support true alpha channels yet. Bart/Edwin, is alpha channel support on the roadmap for the DXV codec?

-Brian

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Glad you like it guys ;-) We've been working on the DXV codec for a long time so we're happy to finally share it with you all!

We hope to support the alpha channel in the future but we do not yet know when the next version will be ready because it's a lot of work.

craftycurate
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by craftycurate »

Yep - DXV rocks! With a 1024x768 composition (and clips) on a Core 2 Duo 2GHz, NVidia 7900 GS 256MB, XP Pro SP3

3 DXV layers with various blend modes: 50-53 fps
4 DXV layers with various blend modes: 43-48 fps
Win7 x64 Pro | 8GB | Nvidia Go 650M/2GB

lo-res
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lo-res »

Sorry to sound thick. I use a macbook pro, should I now use the DVX codec when rendering files as opposed to the Photo Jpeg?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

I would start using the DXV codec when you want to work on higher resolutions or if you need better performance. With the DXV codec you gain a lot of performance but it might not be always necessary.
DXV is only accelerated in Resolume so if you plan on using the files in other live performance software you should stick to Photo Jpeg.

mattblack
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mattblack »

sounds great...gonna evaluate it.

-what do people think of Quality of DXV as opposed to speed? is the quality as good as picvideo3?

-installed it, but is doesnt show up in virtualdub. should it? if not, best tool to batch to DXV?

thanks
Matt Black

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

yeah, looks good to me. ill probably stick with picvideo mjpeg for lower res shows as as lower res, the performance isnt that different ( im not worried about converting the whole library to DVX for the sake of a few frames per second) but for higher res and multiscreen shows, i will deffo be using DVX instead.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

mattblack wrote:-installed it, but is doesnt show up in virtualdub. should it? if not, best tool to batch to DXV?
DXV is a quicktime codec so it will only appear in apps that can render or play quicktime files. Unfortunately virtualdub does not support Quicktime.

If you want to quickly try some files then you can use the DXV test videos downloadable from (the bottom of) this page:
http://www.resolume.com/avenue/dxv.php

GeeEs
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by GeeEs »

The 30 euro's for QTpro are well spend here.. . couldn't resist ;)
DXV codec working great indeed for these high res clips.
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT