midi assignment problems

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
lightforms
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

midi assignment problems

Post by lightforms »

I'm having a couple of problems with my midi assignment specifically the speed control for the layer. I have been trying to assign this through the layer transport controls. It will assign fine but when I stop mapping it seems to drop the assignment but just to be really weird sometimes it will stick and then disappear later. I have tried two different controllers both with the same outcome. Has anyone else noticed this and if so have they found a solution?

There also seems to be something up with midi channels. I cant seem to assign anything over channel 2 which is a problem as we have three midi devices running in the patch and we need this channel separation so as to chose what is listening to what.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks D

Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: midi assignment problems

Post by Rene »

Hi!

I've posted something similar a few weeks ago. I think it maps to the clip instead the layer.

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4699

lightforms

Post by lightforms »

Hi

Sorry I should have added to your post. I did try searching to see if anyone else was having a similar issues obviously I didn't filter the results carefully enough. I will have to go home and check my setup to see how its assigning I have not noticed it assigning specifically to the active clip but if it is doing this then surly that's not right?? I have mainly been trying to use the deck focus when mapping these.
If we do have a problem here are we likely to see it fixed in the near future? Having control over the speed of the layer is quite important for me.

Cheers D

Rene

Post by Rene »

I agree with you - layer mapping is very important for me too, as I want to have the same certain effects on all layers (e.g. RGB color correction) and I want to be able to control those parameters without taking care of the current active layer. - I think this is also not possible at the moment. I hope Bart and Edwin will find some time to fix this for the next version. :mrgreen: - In my opinion layer controls mapping (speed, in/out point, back/forward, pause, etc) are looking a bit like a rough-cut implementation at the moment.

Another silly thing is the problem with the user interface. I cannot change the size of the layer panel! For example when I want to change some effect parameters or look for a file in the file browser the minimum size of the layer panel is always 1/2 of the screen height :x .

timEther

Post by timEther »

Hi

I have the same problem assigning MIDI control to "layer speed"
- this is a fairly major issue for me as well as it's a function i use constantly - would love to get some feedback on this.

T

Rene

Post by Rene »

Hi!

Again I've tried to get "Application MIDI Mapping" working. I've tried with layer speed, playback direction and playback mode.

Out of curiosity and the fact that I really want this working, I looked into the *.avc and contextualMidiShortcuts.xml files. Tried to understand the attributes of the <midiShortcuts> tag and played around for hours. But no result. :cry:

Any ideas??

glasshopper
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by glasshopper »

I have played a lot with the midi mapping of Avenue and have discovered the following which I believe are issues. The new midi mapping method is easier than Resolume 2.3 but I feel that its implementation is a little bit harder to understand / flakier depending on your perspective.

1. Application midi mapping - there is no way I can map layer controls other than for layer 1 - regardless of active layer - ie blend modes volume alpha etc. The same applies to Appplication Key mapping.
2. Application midi mapping only allows you to map to an element that is active / contains footage - empty elements cannot be mapped which seems wrong.
3. Layer transport controls could not be mapped reliably in Application midi mapping - and is not available at all in Composition midi mapping.
4. I played a live where I was editing my midi mapping for clips on the fly - every time I dragged a new clip into a channel my mapping was dissappearing. Weird - have not managed to recreate this one - but it was particularly frustrating ...

Bart / Edwin - why is the midi map highlighting so limited in appplication midi/key mapping - for me as std I want to map my controller at an application level to a number of functions as default. If I wish to get more specific the deck and compostion maps seem useful. But with the current release the application mapping seems flawed.

Tx. ;)