Link audio FFT to timeline

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Teardrop
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Link audio FFT to timeline

Post by Teardrop »

Hello,

What I found so impressive in version 2 was the ability to link the timeline to an internal or external source using audio FFT.

This option seems to have disapearred in version 3, why so much cruelty ? I'm first a musician, so this option is really necesseray for me in a way to "giving life" to images because of playing precise frequencies.

Why can we apply the Audio FFT to each little parameter (and this is great !) as rotation or opacity etc but not the position into the file beeing played ? (with both options : begin the file each time from the beginning or continue the playing where it was left last time it was activated (the video file would advance a little bit more at each snare hit for example)).
Last edited by Teardrop on Sat Jul 04, 2009 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Link audio FFT to playing bar

Post by gpvillamil »

Huh, I hadn't noticed that. That is in fact quite annoying. Linking timeline to audio is one of my favorite effects.

I might be able to do something about that (via a Max/MSP patch).

Teardrop

Re: Link audio FFT to playing bar

Post by Teardrop »

It could be so great if you could do something for that ! Keep in touch !

tchizzy

Re: Link audio FFT to timeline

Post by tchizzy »

Hello,

I totally agree, this function was awesome! I miss it so much!

I used it to control timelapse growing flowers or mushrooms footage with a mic but can't do that anymore...

But I'm sure you could, can, will do something to fix it... ;)

regards.

nwonknu
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by nwonknu »

i thought i couldn't find it :D
yep they should totally implement it in the next update

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

A) yes they should. I would LOVE that.
B) there has to be a way to increase the gain for external sources! The wormhole VST would be perfect but it doesn't work in Avenue 3!!!! Anytime I use my audio interface with a guitar...it barely registers. Timeline sync would help-- I could make a video that rapidly increases opacity in the timeline and then use my barely-registering guitar to do little jumps.

gavspav

Post by gavspav »

Weird - I found that wormhole DID work.

A while ago now though - can't remember if it was on Mac or PC. Or even if it is cross platform?

Sure it worked though.

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

really? I can't get resolume to load when it's in my plug in directory on my PC... it just crashes! I have it working in other programs... Please let me know if you know any tricks! That'd help so much.

gavspav

Post by gavspav »

Yeah just checked and it is definitely working here on PC.

Dunno any tricks though - just used it as a way of getting mic input into Resolume.

I'm running Wormhole 2 inside Resolume3.0.1, XP Pro.SP3,. M Audio Delta 1010LT, AMD X2 4400, 2GB Ram 7600XT, A8n SLI Deluxe.

http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic ... 796#p19796

Gav

willcopps

Post by willcopps »

Thanks Gav—

I'm using Wormhole 2.06 (http://code.google.com/p/wormhole2/downloads/list) on Windows Vista 64-bit and it just blocks Resolume (Avenue 3.01) from loading whenever I have it in the VST folder. Wormhole works in my other hosts... Resolume works with other VSTs... I just don't get it! Very frustrating! I tried finding an earlier version of Wormhole but I can't. Do you know if you're using 2.06? Maybe it's a Windows 64-bit problem?

My main problem with the FFT is my synth works fine through the audio interface, but the guitar—even cranked and with +15db from an optical compressor— only goes up about a fourth of the way. If I can double the guitar from just the normal audible track to make a really maxed out track in Ableton (not to my main outs) and send that through Wormhole to Resolume, it could do a much better job on the FFT levels.

I love hitting my guitar and making layers, etc. appear, so hopefully I can figure something out!