Mapping the APC40 for use with resolume!

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
teens4christgirl
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Mapping the APC40 for use with resolume!

Post by teens4christgirl »

I've been setting up my APC 40 today and I'm really pleased with it.

Previously I was using a UC33 \ BCR2000 \ Padkontrol combo for resolume and 16 pads just wasn't enough. So I've repurposed my ableton controller and I'm loving it so far! However obviously since this controller is ableton specific, there are some drawbacks\features you don't get when you try to use it in resolume. Here's some details on the mapping if you are interested in getting one yourself but not sure how it would work out.

Sadly you can't change the mapping on the apc 40 (as far as I know!) you're stuck with their default mapping, or doing some crazy midi translator hoodoo that is a bit complicated for me.

In resolume, the mappings appear like this:

The first row sends the F notes (I think on channels 1-8) so the notes are 1/F, 2/F, etc then the scene launch buttons send the note 1/A#1
The second row sends 1/F#, 2/F# and so on.

Every button sends a note pretty much! All the activator\track selection\ etc buttons send notes and the pan\send, bank select and even the shift button send notes.

This means that the pan\send ABC bank of rotary encoders is not 4 banks like you would have in ableton, but instead just one bank. (That's ok for me, have a lot more rotary encoders via my BCR2000)

However, the Device control bank is pageable! The track selection buttons change what channel (I think) the device control encoders are sending on. So if you don't map anything to the track selection buttons, you could easily set up 8 banks of rotary encoders with that. The 8 buttons under the device control buttons are also paged with them! That's quite a bit of control.

I haven't yet figured out if I'm going to be able to map my bcr to go alongside it (since the APC is all over the place in terms of what channels etc it's sending on) but I will report back.

One kind of neat thing I've found is that since the Activator\solo-cue\record arm button LEDs are red green and blue, I set those to toggle RGB on some of my clips! But they are toggle switches so you have to hit them twice :P. I still think it's cool.

I know there are people way smarter than me with all this mapping\midi stuff who could whip up a max patch to cook breakfast and all that, I totally hope someone will explain more about how this could be mapped etc and resolume made to work with stuff like the track control encoders and so forth.

My dream would be if I could somehow flip the layout in resolume so that it more closely followed the layout of my apc (layers on the bottom, columns on the side) but it's possible my brain will adapt after a bit. I would love to see some kind of support for this controller or even a user patch that let us get some LED action going on and that kind of stuff.

daxx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Mapping the APC40 for use with resolume!

Post by daxx »

I'm also planning to buy one. But I'm doubting because of the midi problems.
I heard that led's wont work with resolume?

post from vj forums:

I use an akai APC 40 to VJ with Resolume and Modul8 and i love it. The hardware is very nice. Very smooth knobs and sliders. Its a nice heavy unit.
There are some downsides to it though. The way that it handshakes with abelton live makes it trickier to program than most midi controllers. It doesnt come with any software to remap it, and the way it is laid out is kinda weird. For instance, None of the led lights will work without some trickery. I use Bome' s midi translator to make full use of my APC. Together they make a very powerful interface, but dont expect it to work the way you want it to out of the box.

I don't know if midi translator stuff is difficult or not?
anyone?