My wishlist (updated 22.3.)

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
dep
Is taking Resolume on a second date

My wishlist (updated 22.3.)

Post by dep »

Here are some things I'd like to see changed/fixed/added. I'll update the list if I think of something new.
I am running an Nvidia 9500M GS, Windows XP SP3. These findings are using Resolume 3.2.0 beta, unless noted otherwise.
Sorry if there are issues here that have been reported already!

Problems
  • There is a problem with capture devices, detailed in this thread. In short, I wish there was a setting for capture format, as in R2.41.
  • Sometimes, when adding an effect by drag & drop, it does not appear. Drag & dropping again will make both instances appear.
  • After switching decks, the properties of the wrong clip are displayed. To replicate this behavior: load a clip into a layer, then switch to a different deck. You should notice that the contents of the "clip properties" and "clip effects" panels change (they become those of the clip that is in the same position in the deck you switched to). Clicking on the name of the clip or the layer it is on does not help, so there is no way to access the properties of a clip that is playing unless the deck it was loaded from is currently active. Note that the preview does change to reflect the clip that is loaded into the layer.
  • A closely related problem: even when the deck that the clip was loaded from is active, and the clip information is displayed in the related panels, changing the effect parameters does not affect the output (sometimes, it affects the preview monitor, but not always). Even adding/removing effects does nothing. The only way to apply the changes is to re-trigger the clip. Everything works fine before changing decks.
  • Switching decks makes it impossible to access an active clip's properties by clicking on the layer it is playing in.
    Steps to reproduce:
    1. Load a clip into a layer.
    2. Switch decks.
    3. Click on the layer. Nothing will happen.
    This behavior persists even if you switch back to the original deck.
  • It is impossible to switch to another deck while the one that is currently active is still loading. I would prefer that the loading is aborted and the loading of the requested deck begins immediately. Also, when using a MIDI controller to switch decks, the tab for the deck that was requested becomes highlighted, even though it is not switched to (even after the active deck has finished loading).
I feel that the buggy behavior of decks is the most pressing issue in Avenue right now.

Feature requests
  • Please save the layout of the GUI inside Avenue. I have a 1680x1050 monitor, so usually I rearrange the panels to make a little more room for the output monitor. I need to do this again every time I start Avenue.
  • I'd like the preview thumbnail of a clip to represent the clip as it looks like with the effects that are currently applied to it (the way it worked in R2).
  • Have "Solo" and "Bypass" layer modes be mutually exclusive. So, if I choose to solo a bypassed layer, it goes into Solo mode and out of Bypass mode (because I don't think it makes much sense to solo a bypassed layer). When soloing a bypassed layer, I think the Bypass mode should persist, ie. when I go back out of Solo mode, the layer becomes bypassed once more.
  • More customizability in the interface would be awesome. In particular, I would like to have the file browser next to the clip palette, instead of down by all the other panels.
  • The ability to map MIDI controls to things that do not have a GUI element. For example, I used to have buttons for "load next/previous deck" in Resolume 2. This would still be very useful.
  • Type-ahead find in the effect/file panels: when pressing a key, jump to items that begin with this character
  • I think there should be a "Preserve aspect ratio" toggle when scaling to composition size.
Log file did not seem to have any relevant information, but I can still give it if you want.
Last edited by dep on Wed Aug 25, 2010 13:35, edited 7 times in total.

bart
Team Resolume

Re: My wishlist

Post by bart »

Wow thank you for your extensive feedback! You have obviously given it a lot of time and you understand Avenue and it's (current) shortcomings very well.
dep wrote:I feel that the buggy behavior of decks is the most pressing issue in Avenue right now.
We are aware of the problems with the clip focus and deck switching you describe, they are on our todo list. We have already made deck switching a lot "lighter" on the engine so there is less of a drop in frame-rate and we'll release this soonish. After the coming update we will work on the other issues you describe.

HerrNieDa
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: My wishlist (updated 4.11)

Post by HerrNieDa »

i just put a little whish in here

in r2 you were able to trigger a keyboard-key to next/previous frame
this gave me the ability to scratch with my shuttle controller, which is not possible now in r3...
it's also usefull if you want to crop the timeline exactly... simply 2 (functional) buttons to add i think ;)

and also nice would be a in-out button for all parameter "timelines" too, and the in-out in bpm mode also won't work! (maybe designed like this?)
MainSys: Z77 UP5,3570K,32GB Ram,GTX 285, M3 128GB,4x3TB R5@LSI9750
VJSys 1: 990FX UD5,X6 1045T,16GB Ram,GTX970+610+610,M3 128GB,3x1TB R0
MBP 3.1; Schenker A102 (650m) & P702 (675m)

mandawah
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: My wishlist (updated 22.3.)

Post by mandawah »

Hi there,

+1 for "Please save the layout of the GUI inside Avenue"

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: My wishlist (updated 22.3.)

Post by Joris »

Request duly noted and ticket made ;-)

Thanks for your feedback!