Frame Rates of Video recorded from Resolume

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
VJ Rhett Bice
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Frame Rates of Video recorded from Resolume

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

I am recording video to the hard drive. the original clips are int he H.264 format 720 x 405 24p. the recorded clips are coming out, according to the clip properties in Final Cut Pro, at 10FPS. Previously I was recording out while using the same clips at 960 x 540 same codec and the recordings were 8 FPs. I would have expected a much bigger increase in speed.

Just curious how much faster I should expect the recording to be if I were using the DXV codec. I wasn't using it because I had problems with it on my other mac and was afraid I'd be wasting time messing with them again. Also is there some sort of predictable formula I can use to predict frame rates of the recorded output.

The actual frame rates while recording are faster. Varying from 12 to24 depending on the demand from the many different filters I am using. However, even the recordings in which I wasn't putting much demand on the system in with multiple effects are showing to be 10fps in my editing software.

What do I need to do to get the Frame Rates to Record at a much higher rate? If I go to the indeo 5.1 codec will this work?

VJ Rhett Bice

Re: Frame Rates of Video recorded from Resolume

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

So I used the DXV codec and went down in size to 640 x 360 with my clips and the video output settings yet the frame rate is still the same as before on the recorded clips.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The FPS of the recording depends on a few things. First the size, codec and effects come in to play (basically the amount of work Avenue has to do to 'develop' the image). Secondly, those images need to be written in realtime to a storage medium. We find that this second part is usually the bottleneck. The computer just can't store the video information fast enough to keep up with what you're feeding it.

You should be able to get some higher framerates by recording to another (external) HDD than the one you're reading your clips from.

I hope that answers your question.

Joris

VJ Rhett Bice

Post by VJ Rhett Bice »

Ah yes thank you. I try this and see how much faster it goes.