midi mapping issue since Avenue 3.2

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
suzybee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

midi mapping issue since Avenue 3.2

Post by suzybee »

Hi gang,

i haven't been able to work on my live set-up since my last festival last summer when i was using Resolume Avenue version 3.2, so it's taken me this long to notice the problem:

in version 3.2 i was controlling Avenue from a midi-mapped BCR controller.
Using the application mapping i had assigned controller knobs to the clip effect parameters via the dashboard controls.
i used the top layer of controller knobs to control clip effect parameters for the clips in the top row of my deck, and the bottom layer of controller knobs to control clip effect parameters for the clips in the bottom row of my deck.
this worked perfectly and i had no problems once i'd mapped each clip parameter appropriately.

However, when i load the same deck into Avenue 3.3 or the newest version (3.3.2) and turn the same knobs on the controller, the behaviour is completely different. The knobs only affect the parameters of the clip which is currently selected, and also, the knobs on both the top and bottom rows on my controller now control that same selected clip.
this means i can now no longer control the effect parameters for more than one layer at the same time -only the clip which is currently selected.

i tried mapping the controls in "composition map" instead of "application map" and i still have the same problem.

i will either have to stick with using an older version of Avenue (3.2), or otherwise, can you guys explain to me why this has changed and what should do to get the same control which i had in 3.2?

Many thanks for your help,
Suzybee ;)

zeropoint

Re: midi mapping issue since Avenue 3.2

Post by zeropoint »

Hi Suzybee

Have you checked whether your application midi mappings have their focus assigned to layer or deck? (panel in lower left corner when you enter mapping mode)

I am guessing that the upgrade might possibly have reset them to layer focus......

Good luck with Free Rotation this year by the way.

See ya

Tim
Macbook Pro 17" 2.93ghz, 4G Ram, OSX 10.5.7, Live 8.2.2, Avenue 3.3.1, Faderfoxes LV2,DJ2, LD2, Monome 40h.

suzybee

Post by suzybee »

Hi Tim (is that Tim Cowie ???!!!)

thanks but i've definitely been mapping the deck not the layer.
i have found a workaround, and a bit of an explanation:
using the application mapping the controller was only able to control the effects for the selected clip (which wasn't happening before). Looking at the definition in the manual of the difference between "application" and "composition" mapping, i tried again to see if it will work better to set the midi controllers for the clip effects in "composition" mode, and also used different dashboard dials for the 2 different layers i'm using.
This seems to work, so i'm now going to set all my clip effect midi controllers using the "composition midi map" and keep the dashboard dials separate for the clips on the top layer and the bottom layer (3 for each layer).
it could be that before i was making use of the "bug" in the application mapping mode which got fixed in version 3.3.0 !!

very hard to explain and i hope i've got it right this time...

(& thanks re freerotation...)
cheers,
suzybee ;)

zeropoint

Post by zeropoint »

Hi Suzybee

No, not a light surgeon I'm afraid.....

I know of you through the Mindtours page which I came to after following Steevio's badass, wizardly posts on mnml for some time......

respect to you both and glad it sounds like you've got yourself sorted.

Tim
Macbook Pro 17" 2.93ghz, 4G Ram, OSX 10.5.7, Live 8.2.2, Avenue 3.3.1, Faderfoxes LV2,DJ2, LD2, Monome 40h.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Since midi mapping can be confusing at the best of times, I'll try to explain things a bit here:

In Application Map mode, in 'layer' focus the inputs will work on whatever *layer* is currently selected, we call this 'contextual'. This is handy to cut down on the amount of controls needed to access all the individual parameters that can be assigned.

The 'deck' focus then allows you to map individual controls to each *layer*, ie, effects on different layers can be controlled by different midi inputs. This is great for using different inputs to change the opacity or to colorize each layer individually via midi.

For *clips* however, the focus is always contextual, so the same inputs will work on whatever clip is currently active. Aside from the fact that you can map the triggers for the entire deck, there is no difference between 'deck' and 'layer' focus for clips. The clip properties and effects panels behave exactly the same way in both mapping modes.

If you want to assign individual controls to individual clips, you indeed need to use the Composition Map mode.

Hope that makes sense, and that some people actually managed to read this far without losing 'focus'. (Ha! See what I did there? ;))

Joris