Big Time! MIDI Mapping almost gone…

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Tschoepler
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Big Time! MIDI Mapping almost gone…

Post by Tschoepler »

Hey,

I'm in the middle of preparing a show and whoops -> all MIDI mapping gone. For what ever reason Arena moved – not copied – my MIDI mapping data to a file it's preferences folder and at the same time put an empty file in the former (Avenue 3) folder with the same name :shock: . Now the really funny part is that since Avenue likes to just overwrite preferences etc. when updated I started to put my file into a seperate folder – called "MIDI Map" instead of "Preferences". But anyway, it found the file (I guess this could be linked to the import on first launch) and almost killed my nerves ;) I think sending you a log wouldn't do any good as I'm not quite sure when this happened. Maybe you could check this - at least – attention REQUEST :D – would you plz fix that issue with overwritten preferences files? I'm tired of changing language back and forth ;) .

best
j
████▀ ▄█ tschoepler.net █████ zweifarbton.net █▄ ▀████

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Big Time! MIDI Mapping almost gone…

Post by Joris »

So if I understand you correctly, the midi mapping file was imported correctly from R3 to R4, but the midi mapping file in the R3 folder was replaced with a blank one? That would be bad indeed.

Tschoepler

Post by Tschoepler »

Correct. and I can even reproduce it. It seems that it happens every time I open v4. I'll send you a log.

Tryll
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Tryll »

Tschoepler wrote:Correct. and I can even reproduce it. It seems that it happens every time I open v4. I'll send you a log.
Wow. OK, this is starting to make sense. I think I've been seeing the same.

GeeEs

Post by GeeEs »

I guess a simple solution is to rename and save your own (MIDI map)settings to something unique ?! I think a different folder isn't even necessary... I always name my settings to the controller i'm using.. so for example (Application_MIDImap_BCR2000_001 / Composition_MIDImap_APC40_001.... etc.. )

And of course... once in a while i backup all settings. It's always a good idea to backup your settings before setting up a new software/update.

of course if something is wrong in the application, it should be fixed.. but i guess i never encountered this issue by renaming these files directly (even before changing the setup)

The issue with changing the language every time i've never encountered.. How did you manage this ?
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT

Tschoepler

Post by Tschoepler »

GeeEs wrote:I guess a simple solution is to rename and save your own (MIDI map)settings to something unique ?! I think a different folder isn't even necessary... I always name my settings to the controller i'm using.. so for example (Application_MIDImap_BCR2000_001 / Composition_MIDImap_APC40_001.... etc.. )

And of course... once in a while i backup all settings. It's always a good idea to backup your settings before setting up a new software/update.

of course if something is wrong in the application, it should be fixed.. but i guess i never encountered this issue by renaming these files directly (even before changing the setup)
I do rename my MIDI mapping files. And we even share the same manner of doing so – giving them the controllers name ;) What do you call a backup if not copying the files to a second location? :ugeek: I just had v3 fetch the file from that bak-folder (stupid me I know) instead of the preferences folder. So I guess that's why v4 imported the file from that folder into its prefs-folder and for some reason cleared the one in my v3 folder. I never encountered this with any of the v3 updates.
The issue with changing the language every time i've never encountered. How did you manage this ?
staraaange :shock: This has been an issue to me ever since. Or do you mean by "renaming these files" you somehow manage to tell Resolume to take a different file as its prefs-file?

GeeEs

Post by GeeEs »

Hi Tschoepler,

I'm gonna try to reproduce this issue tonight and let you know what happened. I can't say i've had these issues and i made a lot of MIDI map and settings files in the last years...

With backup i mean a different/external location indeed, but just for occasional issues. so that i can go back to an earlier state. I never load from that backup location! It's only for when things go really bad and i lose my harddrive or something. I renew the backup now and then when i feel that too much has changed on my live laptop.

The last thing (about the language) i don't quite understand. My experience is that when i close Avenue, it will start the next time exactly how i left it the last time. Inclucing language, MIDI and program settings. The only issue is that when i connect my MIDI controller after Avenue started, i have to renew/refresh my midisettings and activate the input. Aftwerards it's woking, without restarting Avenue
desktop: Windows 7 home premium 64 bit, MSI 870A-G54, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM (GVP34GB1600C9DC), NVidia GTX 560
laptop: Windows 7 home premium 32 bit, Core2duo 2Ghz, 4Gb Ram, NVidia 9600m GT

Tschoepler

Post by Tschoepler »

GeeEs wrote:The last thing (about the language) i don't quite understand. My experience is that when i close Avenue, it will start the next time exactly how i left it the last time. Inclucing language, MIDI and program settings. The only issue is that when i connect my MIDI controller after Avenue started, i have to renew/refresh my midisettings and activate the input. Aftwerards it's woking, without restarting Avenue
Hey GeeEs,

What I mean by that is that when I update (install a new release) of Avenue, my preferences file gets overwritten by system defaults. I have to copy the file to a different location first and then copy it back after the update. There hasn't been a prob with this workaround yet but what if the preferences file gets "updated/new parameters" itself e.g. dmx that came with the 3.3.3 I hope this makes sense? :lol:

Alvis_Cortex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Sorry if I am being stupid but can anyone explain me how do I save a MIDI map?
or you guys mean saving as a composition? like a template?
tks

Alvis Cortex

Tryll
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Tryll »

Alvis_Cortex wrote:but can anyone explain me how do I save a MIDI map?
Options are available in the preferences dialog for midi... the same place you load midi maps from. :)