Use the video output as input

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
MatthiasKp
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Use the video output as input

Post by MatthiasKp »

Hi everyone.

I know there are a few topics already discussing a similar subject, but i didn't find a solution for my problem.

I am planning to get the following setup running for friday:
- main projection on standard canvas behind the dj
- secondary projection on semi-transparent white net 2.5m in front of the dj

The setup was already tested in small size and worked well. The idea is to create a kind of three-dimensional illusion by cutting certain parts of the main-projection (threshold, contrast, brightness ect) and project it on a transparent “screen”.

My problem now is that i would have to use the video output as a input to add effects and filters as threshold and contrast to the output for the secondary screen. I will be working with a vga video-splitter and one pc.

The output would then be 2560*720px while the first 1280px would be the normal output and the second 1280px output plus additional effects applied.

Is there any simple way to reuse the composition output as a clip? Or any other suggestions?

Tanks in advance

twitchdoktor
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Use the video output as input

Post by twitchdoktor »

do you have a matrox dualhead or similar at your disposal? a possible workaround using this device would be:
make your composition 2x as wide as vour canvas, looks like you have already made this calculation ;) . make new layer(s) with duplicates of the clips in the old layers corresponding by column, and apply desired effects. set the original layer(s) for output to one projector (one side of the 2x wide comp) and the new layers to the other projector (the other side). trigger via column.

MatthiasKp

Post by MatthiasKp »

that works as long as i dont want to overlay a lot of layers. and my layout is rather complex and makes it impossible to just duplicate every single layer.

one thing i could come up is to get a second pc with a running resolume, use the output of pc1 as input and attach the desired effects to it, then again use the output of pc2 as input for pc1, whitch then combines the two again...

this process doesn't seem perfect to me... and i don't have any experience with sharing the resolume output over a network (handbook sais it's possible...).

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

I think clip effects is what you need.
A clip effect takes the result of all layers and applies an effect to it.
You can than position the clip effect (or the layer which is in) and place it anywhere you like.

MatthiasKp

Post by MatthiasKp »

@edwin i don't understand how i can create two different outputs with clip effects. what clip would i attach a clip effect to?

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Just pasted the following section from the resolume 4 manual.
Effect Clips

You can also add an effect to an empty clip. In doing this, you will effectively (ha! see what I did there?) create an Effect Clip. If you're used to working with Photoshop or After Effects, you'll know this feature as Adjustment Layers.

Any effect(s) applied on an Effect Clip will be applied to all the clips playing in the layers underneath it. This way you can very quickly create a sequence of different looks and effects, while still being able to swap out the footage on the fly.

Even better, this will allow you to assign MIDI or keyboard triggers to effects, or even fade from one effect to the other using the automatic transitions feature! Like Sources, Effect Clips can be assigned a duration as well, so you can use them with the Auto Pilot too.

Of course, you can stack as many effects in an Effect Clip as you want (or until the output turns to an unrecognizable soup).

Tip! Creating an Effect Clip in fact creates a copy of the clips playing underneath. So after first creating it, you can actually delete the effect, and then use the Transform controls to create all sorts of zooming, picture-in-picture and mirror effects.
So effect clips can be used to create a copy of the current mix, just use the transform to move it to the side and you'll get what you want.

twitchdoktor
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by twitchdoktor »

ah, i was forgetting effect clips. such handy features added in res4!