Moving Resolume Projects

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
markfrancombe
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Moving Resolume Projects

Post by markfrancombe »

I'm using Resolume 3.3.2, and Im wondering how to save my projects?
I really don't like the way some programs automatically save to Documents, I want to be able to have different projects in different locations, even different disks... But Resolume doesnt have a proper file saveAs dialog, and I just am making endless projects in the same location. This is annoying because I don't have much space on my computer, and I prefer that its only used from programs, I would rather save my projects and media elsewhere... and TOGETHER.. the last thing I want is have the project file in the resolume directory and the media on an external disk.. I want to be able to keep it all together..

Ideas please?

Mark

vjloco
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Moving Resolume Projects

Post by vjloco »

The only way to save a project is through the "save as" dialog which will put the project file into the Documents folder, but once you have done this you can copy or move the file anywhere you want. To open a file that is in a different directory you have to select Composition-open, and then navigate to where you have stored the file. This is not very efficient, because you can not use the Resolume browser (which will only look in the documents folder) and will not even save you much space, since the compositions files are only about a Meg each.
However, it is a good way to back up your compositions.
Laptop: Intel Core 2cpu T7200 @2Ghz - 2Gig Ram
Operating system: Windows Vista Ultimate Sp1 X64
Video card: NVIDIA Gforce Go 7600

markfrancombe

Post by markfrancombe »

Thanks for that vjloco, what Im really asking is can I have a "movable directory" taht contains, not only the Resolume file but all the assets required for the project.
Right now all my assests I am manually moving to the folder in Documents. This is just filling up my hard-drive, I would prefer to keep all the assets on external disks on a project by project basis. Like I do with Video editing.

Everyone know that you can just give someone a html file, you have to include all the images, flash files whatever... seems a bit narrow minded to imaging that everyone keeps everything on their hard-drive the whole time! I did TRY to keep all assets on an external once, but it got disconnected once ad the Res fule lost the references to the files and refused to show them once I had plugged the disk back in...

I only see the use of the current method if you are an improvising VJ with loads and loads of clip directorys at the read for making stuff up at the gig... not so good for theatre or art projects...

Mark

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Thanks for that vjloco, what Im really asking is can I have a "movable directory" taht contains, not only the Resolume file but all the assets required for the project.
A collect and gather feature has been mentioned a few times now. Short story is that we'd like to do it, but it has a considerable margin of error when moving potentially insane amounts of data. You can do a search on the forum for the long story.
seems a bit narrow minded to imaging that everyone keeps everything on their hard-drive the whole time! I did TRY to keep all assets on an external once, but it got disconnected once ad the Res fule lost the references to the files and refused to show them once I had plugged the disk back in...

Pretty much all apps that use external content use references to the external content, and require a well thought out data management system from the side of the user. If you move the files, the references will break. That's why Resolume 4 introduced a clip reconnect feature. Were the problems you had with Resolume 3 or 4?

markfrancombe

Post by markfrancombe »

Were the problems you had with Resolume 3 or 4?
Of course I have 3.. I would love to get 4, but dont have the cash right now.
and require a well thought out data management system from the side of the user. If you move the files, the references will break.
Really? Is a Application file and a associated Assets folder really that clever?

All I was asking was why I cant "SaveAs" at the moment of save the reference to the files would be established, and sure if I foolishly moved my project file, it would break.. but thats exactly what happens now, except that i cant decide where to save my project file.

I think if you look at what everyone does if they are using Final Cut Pro or After Effects, almost everyone has a project folder and within that keep theyr project file and the files needed to run it.
easy peasy..

anyway... got my question answered.. gotta but 4!

crazy cool program by the way!!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Really? Is a Application file and a associated Assets folder really that clever?
Dude, you'd think it would be the most normal thing in the world. Yet I used to work as an editor/motion designer and I had to take over some of the most horribly organized projects from 'professional' colleagues.
and sure if I foolishly moved my project file, it would break
Just to be 100% clear here: when you move the *project* file, there is no problem whatsoever. Only when you move the *data*, Resolume loses the references (just like AE and FCP for that matter).

markfrancombe

Post by markfrancombe »

goto10 wrote:Just to be 100% clear here: when you move the *project* file, there is no problem whatsoever. Only when you move the *data*, Resolume loses the references (just like AE and FCP for that matter).
Hmmm.. Just to be 1000% sure what you are saying.. (ill try this anyway)
Are you saying that...
IF...
I keep all my Assets (I mean ALL, films flash files, QC files, JPGs,) ON an external disk...
THEN... create a Resolume Project, and chuck all those things in...
THEN.. Outside of Resoluyme I MOVE THE REZZ FILE OVER TO THE HARD-DISK...
It will still work?
CAn I continue to work on it... If I save, does it re-save in the NEWIMPROVED, WHITER THEN WHITE location,

CAn I then DELETE the file thats in users/me/documents/resolume projects/

IF so... then...

Thats just dandy... Im a happy bunny...

Next time in Amsterdam... the skunks on me...
DUDE!
:mrgreen:

Joris

Post by Joris »

Yup, this is how it works.

markfrancombe

Post by markfrancombe »

heh heh!!Ive been there... except I cant really remember it now...

BUT.. Now this big production is over,
(and went like a dream BTW), I need to get it off my internal disk. (yes yes.. I made the project before I knew that I could leave the media files it on the external and just move the project file.

So I just tried moving BOTH the project AND the media (keeping the same folder relationship. But that didnt work when I tried to launch the project from the external disk.

Now I see why, when I have a peek in the Res.avc disk its just an xml(ish) kind of file, and I can see the path to the files that are on my internal drive...
(Surely this whole thing would NOT be a problem if you had used relative paths in some way?)

So I try something... I search / replace the bit of the path as it was, with the new EXTERNAL path...

/Users/markfrancombe/Documents/Resolume Avenue 3/NINA/FINAL
was replaced with...
/Volumes/GOD/STEMMER/Resolume/NINA/FINAL

However.. this dint work either...

Any clues how to do this.. I have 35 gbs of files on the internal disk that I dont really want to be using up that space, and want to move it off to a customer disk... got a work-around for me?

Mark

Joris

Post by Joris »

Are you replacing the file path for the clips? That should work actually. Can you contact us directly on mail@resolume.com?