MP3 Support.

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DRNZ
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

MP3 Support.

Post by DRNZ »

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere. Does R3 really not support audio in mp3 format? I'm sure there's an underlying reason, but it seriously affects the software's usability, IMHO.

trevorhughes
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: MP3 Support.

Post by trevorhughes »

the reason is because to manipulate the audio (i.e. fx, looping, etc) then the mp3 (compressed) would have to be uncompressed on the fly - thus taking up a lot of processing speed that could be better used for video and other tasks.

- by supplying audio that is *already* uncompressed you leave resources for other things...

however - if you want to use something like ableton or some other sequencer and snyc it to avenue via midi, then you can certainly load your mp3's into that s/w and enjoy the best of both worlds - of course this takes up processing power too, so in either case, it's all about getting what you want out of the resources that you have.

dBom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dBom »

I was a little disappointed to discover this out upon downloading R3 Beta.
It seems like this was more of a concern for the audio in the video files from what I read in the manual, but maybe it's a bigger issue than I thought. Maybe audio effects could be disabled for mp3 clips?!? - Bart/Edwin?
I was hoping that this program would give other mp3 DJ programs that have video plugins (Serato) a true competitor in the Video DJ arena. Resolume is coming from the mindset of the VJ, so that is a big plus already.
It doesn't appear that it will ever happen, unless you want to spend countless hours combining your mp3s with music videos in a video editing program or you could convert all the mp3s in a batch converter and make uncompressed wav files and dump those into Resolume Avenue.
Not really conducive to a DJ set as I had imagined it.
It's gonna require a different thought process but one that I feel will ultimately benefit VJs and turn away DJs who are flocking to the software of the moment.

- dBom
An-ism

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

MP3 playback is definitely on our minds but to play it directly requires too much cpu. We could implement a cache system like Ableton Live where the mp3 file is converted to wav in the background.