NEW FFGL Source Plugin - StrobSine

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
trifox
Is taking Resolume on a second date

NEW FFGL Source Plugin - StrobSine

Post by trifox »

Hi all, this is my first release of a FFGL Source plugin for resolume, beating sines, try it out and let me know what you think about it

http://spack-o-mat.digitalgott.com/inde ... oSine.html

Sadler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: NEW FFGL Source Plugin - StrobSine

Post by Sadler »

Tried in Arena 4.1.11 works well. The alpha on the dots seems premultiplied though, so you see dark halos on light backgrounds for Add and Alpha modes but Add 50 solves this. Works well with Trails.

Interesting that you've included BPM and Resync in the effect - means you have to dial it in twice on a bpm change.

trifox

Post by trifox »

hi there,

thank you for the testing info,

- i will look into the alpha, in fact there is no alpha channel right now, just gradient to black, i think i am going to change it into true alpha because of the thing you mentioned

- so regarding bpm/resyncing
- i am very unhapy with the hard coded time info in the BPM variable wich gets weirdly scaled by 200 to get the beat effect
- the resync button just resets a counter so that the big bubble is visible on click

so, what would you suggest how to handle such ? i mean the bpm/resync functionality of the plugin is totally useless the way it is,i think i am going to remove both controls bpm/resync and replace them just with a "beatdotsize" slider which then can be assigned to the classic resolume bpm/timeline/whatever controls

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

That's what I would have suggested - a "beat dot" size slider. That means it could change on BPM, Composition beats or FFT - much more flexible.

I guess you could set the beat dots size to zero to turn them off too. It might also be good to be able to adjust the number of beat dots, from 0 to whatever, for subtler or more extreme beats.

Would also like to see the sine wave dot count go higher too so that it is able to do string/stroke effects at smaller dot sizes.

trifox

Post by trifox »

hi there, right, i am going to implement it in the way of the beat dot slider

i try to keep the parameter count as low as possible, although it would be possible to include some finer grade definition of placement and range/stepping of the beat dot, i think i will leave it out for the sake of low parameter count, because i am already unsatisfied with the many sine controls

regarding dot-count, it is a pure pixel shader script, which means that more dots mean more processing power for the picture, a particle system should be implemented by using a geometry shader or at least using point sprites to render such dots, so, i am not going to give more than 100 here, please wait for a full fledged geometry/pointsprite based sine wave with lots of dots

thank you for testing and hinting. i think this is going to be a start for a huge collection of plugins ;)

throughout the weekend i think i am going to publish 2 more sources, one for 1dimensional sine waves adding 3 sine waves with configurable frequency/wavelength/amplitude together, and the same for a 2d plasma like sine wave as well. those sources are far better to be handled by a shader than a long for/loop which would better be suited for a full fledged 3d raymarcher

lol, long talking, and i think there is going to be even some space for some nice hybrid-julia fractal rendering ;)
so, let me pull some strings i will post update here!

trifox

Post by trifox »

wow, that developed to a nice result, here is the final version of that
http://spack-o-mat.digitalgott.com/inde ... inev2.html

somehow i can not get a decent sound/visual recording out of resolume, if some one could provide a little recording of the plugin in action i would be delighted!

Sadler

Post by Sadler »

phpBB [video]

trifox

Post by trifox »

thank you, but i see recording ist quite a problem regarding realtime, i gotta buy myself somekind of hardisk recorder for smooth recording

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Oh, very nice plugin. I will try it right now and record some play.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Playing on 2 layers + some effects.
phpBB [video]