Alternative for Quartz Composer

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Alternative for Quartz Composer

Post by drazkers »

Thanks for the great reply and laying out your thinking!
Last edited by drazkers on Sat Oct 14, 2017 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Agree with getting rid off quartz, nobody doubts is past. And still thinking we will miss it for some time.
I undestand the power of shaders, not a versed guy on that, but I know patricio and even I'd made some plugins through shadermaker.
Fusion is great piece of software, I'd made a lot of compositing work on it, and blackmagic adquisition opened up a great community around it (we started to share workarounds and lua scripts with nuke people since then, not a minor thing).
From my personal view, just thinking that qz gived to me the ability to make an animated lowerthird, loading dinamic content and controll it from resolume, in deathline and without the need of write a single line of code!
I will miss that simplicity.
Anyway, when a standard procedure breaks up, we can see emerging a lot of exciting new ways.

About Notch, not for me but, do you noticed that DXV is a supported format? :D

lightbx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by lightbx »

Well said, Zig-Zag.

sleepytom, where do you find the high demand for Notch freelancers? Was learning a bit about this software recently.

There seems to be so much out there these days, it feels hard to commit to one software long enough to master it, before something new and better comes along...

Anyway, this thread has made a nice memorial for Quartz Composer. Love how everyone is coping/moving on in their own way. I'm practicing GLSL but am still fighting that learning curve.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

sleepytom wrote:If you have some money and a decent windows machine to work on then get Notch. It's by far the most commercially successful node environment for event media servers. There is a big demand for freelance Notch programmers and the rates are very good. Resolume probably won't directly support it as it is windows only but
Huge market for Notch. Mainly because the big media servers support it (d3, hippo, AI).

You can create stuff in notch and export video for Resolume instead exporting to real time blocks.

Minimum recommended card is a 1080 or Titan X though :(

najork
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by najork »

Joris wrote: I would rather spent a weekend learning Shaderloader than having to go through all that jazz. But that's my opinion.
To make the leap from scripting (Quartz, After Effects, HTML) to straight-up writing plugins, is that a massive undertaking? Not sure if reading about shader programming will fill in the basic vocabulary, or if I need to walk it way back to even understand what the different files on Github are.

francoe

Post by francoe »

Najork, one time you get all setted up, with shadermaker making the plugin is mainly copy/paste and compile.
Then you need to learn how to write your own shaders, but take in mind that are 'just' shaders.