Text data over OSC

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Text data over OSC

Post by sleepytom »

Yes...

That’s what I’ve always wanted, a way to know wtf is actually going on in a comp. some kind of json interface could be a way to do this. (look at the barco e2 docs, it has a json interface from control and system monitoring)

In a perfect world I’d like to be able to get / set things in the comp via such an interface. It would be really great to be able to request a list of the effects on layer1. Even better to say insert effects “strobe, colorize and twitch” on layer2.

My dream is an external controller which can show meaningful feedback about the state of Resolume with the ability to fully sync up a defined setup automatically. At the moment I’m a bit stuck with being unable to add effects to layers externally (eg I have RGB buttons which I match to colorise presets, but obviously they don’t work without the correct effect in place. Being able to add effects via external control would be perfect)

shanekoss
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by shanekoss »

@Joris - i love the xml/json idea. Happy to help test or implement if needed.

shanekoss
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by shanekoss »

also - perhaps I'm missing something obvious here. I've turned off all OSC output so I can limit the number of messages and only send the parameters I'm interested. Works great for column connect, opacity, etc. However, there doesn't seem to be a way to manually enable the sending of clip or column names. Is this correct?

thanks!

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

you have to ask for names..

send a string consisting of "?" to the name address and it will return the current name to you.

Downtown
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Downtown »

Joris wrote:At the risk of derailing the thread, I'm starting to wonder whether we're not abusing a control protocol to represent software state. Open Sound *Control* is meant to provide very low latency and high precision control over parameters.

What you're doing now, is gathering a lot of control data, and then reverse engineering what the state of the software is from that. This means we have send a shipload of data on events like layer selection, otherwise you will never know what effects are applied on each layer. This data can change, but it's unlikely to have changed with every layer select. Deck changes work similarly, you need to process an insane amount of control messages to figure out what the new deck looks like.
I'm curious as to why Resolume 5 didn't have this issue. OSC worked beautifully, it was a dream come true. Now I can't even BPM tap because some of the taps don't register. This happens regardless of whether I have OSC bundle turned off or on. Sending clip names (to clip name gets) should only happen when I change layers or rename a clip, not constantly, so that shouldn't affect the latency. In my particular composition, the only 2 objects that should be updating with data are clip pos and BPM (which is an integer, I haven't messed with getting a beat clock synced...it's not really that useful when I can [ideally, when it's working] just tap BPM and resync).

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

If you're having a specific problem with OSC, latency or otherwise, it's probably best if you contact us directly via mail@resolume.com. Details on how you're sending your OSC messages and what you're asking Resolume to send back would help a lot. Then we can see what your problem can be.