Ableton Link with Resolume on the same computer

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
mygeneration
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Ableton Link with Resolume on the same computer

Post by mygeneration »

Link is a network protocol. How does choice of a sound card affect network setup and detection?
Yeah Joris,
I don't usually have a need for Link, however I saw this post and decided to check it out.
2017 MacBook Pro 10.14.2 worked as expected, right out the box.
The PC with Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134 did not, Live 10 Suite 10.0.5 did not display the Link tab
in the upper left menu, even though "Show Link" was selected in Live's preferences.
Search help "Link Troubleshooting" shows;
"Link doesn't appear in Live's Transport Bar even though it's toggled in MIDI Preferences
Windows: As of Live 9.7.1, Link usage is only possible with ASIO drivers. If Direct X/MME is selected in Audio Preferences, Link will be automatically disabled and therefore not show up in the Live Transport Bar. Make sure to select an ASIO driver (e.g. the one which you would use with your external audio interface) in Live's Audio Preferences. In case you do not use an external interface or your interface doesn't include its own ASIO driver, install ASIO4ALL, a free ASIO driver."
This resolved my issue.

To:Zoltán,
If you have another machine, with Ableton or Resolume on it
This is probably directed to p8guitar's issue, however I can confirm, now I have Arena 6 and Live 10 both open on the Mac and PC, all in communication showing 3 Links on each.
Thanks.

p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by p8guitar »

When I open Ableton Live on my Mac and Resolume on the Windows machine, link works. I see "1 Link" written in the Ableton link button. when I change the tempo in Live or in Resolume, the tempo is synched.
I don't have Resolume on the Mac, so I cannot test it the opposite way.

I opend Bitwig on the Windows machine, too. Still the "1 link" button, not "2 link", but changing the tempo in Live, bitwig or Resolume change the tempo in the other apps, too.
Arena 7.2.1; Ableton Live 10.1.18 controlling Arena with OSC; Schenker W507 mobile Workstation: i7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2x m.2 Samsung SSD 960 EVO NVMe, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

p8guitar wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 When I open Ableton Live on my Mac and Resolume on the Windows machine, link works.
Sounds like the issue is not Resolume's side then, correct?
p8guitar wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:22 I opend Bitwig on the Windows machine, too. Still the "1 link" button, not "2 link", but changing the tempo in Live, bitwig or Resolume change the tempo in the other apps, too.
in this case you should see 2 links in every program.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu