Quartz composition does not play movies

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
u-dopic
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Quartz composition does not play movies

Post by u-dopic »

Hi!

I ve got some problems using my own quartz compositions. I'm using the movie importer patch and simply connect it to a billboard. The output is 640x480 60fps.
The movie is a mov file with 2 megs.

After dragging the qrz clip into resolume and starting it, it wont run and the output is black, while other quartz compositions using for example the 3D transformation patch run without problems.

Am I doing something wrong or is the movie source not fully supported in resolume 3.2?

enlight me, please
u-dopic

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Quartz composition does not play movies

Post by Joris »

Hey U-Dopic

For a variety of reasons it's not a good idea to play back movies within a QC composition playing in Resolume (or VDMX or GrandVJ or Modul8 for that matter). Primarily because the thread running Quicktime could interfere with the thread running Resolume.

So until Resolume supports Image Filters (on the list already, but don't hold your breath), you won't have access to movies in QC in Resolume.

Hope that explains it a bit!

Joris

u-dopic

Post by u-dopic »

Hi Joris!

Thanks for your reply. That makes sense if the quicktime thread is used, but I have to admit that I dont completly understand the problem.
I tried the same compositions in Modul8 and they worked well.

greetings
u-dopic

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Well, it's a bit of a tricky one. I know that both Modul8 and VDMX can do this (never tried it on GrandVJ actually), but I also know that the VDMX devs say that it's best no to do it. Just because something is possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea. It's like VJ'ing with H264 compressed files. A lot of people do it and never have any issues with it, even so we would never recommend it to anyone.

Maybe it is good to leave that choice up to you though. To be continued ;-)

Joris

Joris

Post by Joris »

Well, after some discussion, we don't think it's a good idea to support this feature. Whichever way you decide to implement, it will lead to instability in the system, and that's the one thing we DON'T want in Resolume. So I'm afraid for now you'll have to wait for Image Filters to be supported as effects.

Alternatively you can try the cheeky technique of using a directory scanner to get the file you want, which is cumbersome and could cause instability but will work. It's up to you ;-)

Joris

denkertje

Post by denkertje »

Also miss the movie playing feature....Saw all the comments, but still mis it :-/

Tried to work it out with the directory scanner. Looked at the http://www.hybridvisuals.nl dynamic slideshow tutorial. Still cant work it out.

I would like to make a cube where each side of the cube displays a different part of the same movie. Then import it in resolume.
So the question is how to do this. Probably seems obvious I am a qc beginner :-)

Thanks

Joris

Post by Joris »

Nice idea!

To get you started, here's a qc patch that loads the first movie file from the directory you place it in, and puts it on four sides of a cube (so if you place the file on your desktop and run it in Resolume, it'll play the first movie file on your desktop).

http://www.hybridvisuals.nl/uploads/movie%20loader.qtz

Note that although this works (on the two machines I tested anyway), it's not really recommended to do so, and could make Resolume run unstable.

'Playing different parts of the movie' can mean different things, but you either want to play around with the crop patch, or set the patch time of the movie loader to external and control the playback that way.

Hope that made some sense. If not, feel free to ask questions!

Joris

vjslof

Post by vjslof »

You can try vade's movieloader. Download at: http://v002.info/?page_id=13
Just put the .plugin file into /Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches

Start Quartz Composer and
Drag v002movieplayer from the Patch Creator into your composition.
Drag a billboard into the composition.
Connect the Image from the v002movieplayer to the Image from the Billboard

Doubleclick on the Movie Path in the v002 Movie Player and drop your movie into the path.

The v002movieplayer Plugin plays the movies in a smoother way and with more controls over the video than Quartz Composers own movieplayer.

digitalgigalow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by digitalgigalow »

here is work around that might work. open you movie file in Quicktime Player 7 (if it is not on your computer, install from OS disk in optional installs). goto file tab and select Export. change save settings to 'Save as Image Sequence' then save. (save were you want to). This will create a folder with every frame as a picture (extension depends on the settings you selected in Quicktime).

now there are 2 ways to play this as a movie in quartz without messing with quicktime code.

1. follow this tutorial: Dynamic slideshow - follow link below

http://www.hybridvisuals.nl/tutorials/q ... slideshow/

2. http://kineme.net/forum/Discussion/Tuto ... Structures

this patch plays multiple .PDF files like a flip book. there is one more process you need to do with the Image Sequence files to make this happen. go to the folder you saved them in. Highlight all the Images and open them in preview. this will bring up preview and all the images in ONE window with a thumbnail sidebar. highlight all the images in the thumbnail sidebar then print. instead of printing choose the pdf tab and save as PDF.

UREKA!