OSC - Send Pictures

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

OSC - Send Pictures

Post by Rene »

Is it possible to receive a thumbnail of a video clip via OSC? - just thinking about the iPad, TouchOSC and Resolume. :?:

pleasuretek
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: OSC - Send Pictures

Post by pleasuretek »

no. OpenSoundControl just sends messages. If you wanted all your thumbnails to show up, you could sequence them (give them unique ID's to iterate through) and match each thumbnail ID with a video clipID..... (in theory)... But the real answer to your question is: no OSC cannot send images(such as .jpg or .png).
Asus build - intel 2.8GHz T9600, 4GB 800Mhz DDR2, ATI 4670
Rack unit - intel 2.7GHz q6600, 8GB 1066Mhz DDR2, 9800GTX+, intensity HDMI input card

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

Could you not simply send the image information encoded in an osc packet? i think the standard is open enough to allow that - though it would be proprietary and not part of the official spec.

maybe MSEX protocol would be better - this is used in media servers to give thumbnail preview on lighting desks.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

OSC supports a BLOB format that enables you to send binary data. It would be easy to send an .png or .jpg over the network. It's an interesting thought but unlikely that we will implement such a thing. We are busy though working on DMX so the MSEC protocol Tom mentioned is something we keep an eye on.

mfo

Post by mfo »

How is the current state concerning OSC Out? It was said that OSC Out will be in the next major update - but in Ave3.2 it wasn't included (as far as I know).
After that little switch you had to set in the xml to test OSC Out I was expecting it soon.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

I don't recall us promising OSC out. Unless you can quote me on this i would be very surprised if we ever promised this. The OSC out toggle in the Config file was something we used for a project and is handy as a debugging tool.
When we will implement OSC out we will also have to implement MIDI out. This is something which is high on our todo list but something that will not be implemented before version 4.

mfo

Post by mfo »

Hm, I thought I read that. But probably I'm wrong ... and quoting wouldn't make you integrate that faster, won't it?^^
The reason why I m so keen on OSC out is: http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5815