General questions about optimizations.

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

General questions about optimizations.

Post by Arvol »

Question about optimizations:
If I have a Comp size of 5,000 x 10,000, Is it better to have each layer be scaled down and positioned (X/Y) to fit where it needs to be on the comp, or will just applying a Slice Transform to the layer be just as effective?
My thoughts are that if I scale and resize the layer, the layer will no longer have a raster of 5,000 x 10,000 but 1,920 x 1,080, but If I add the Slice Transform FX the layer size will remain t he same size as the comp with just an FX doing the scaling and resizing.
Am I correct in that thought process or are they about the same in performance?
I have a server with about 15 Layers for 11 outputs, each layer goes to it's own output.

If I have an input card on this same machine and I want to send that input to each of those layers as well, Would having 15 versions of the input on each layer be more taxing than having a single version of the input and then 14 Video Routers referencing the input?
Alternatively, I could create a new layer just for the input and then just use slice transform on that layer to send it to all screens (what I'll probably end up doing), But I was curious on the Video Router vs the multiple inputs question haha.

Thanks

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: General questions about optimizations.

Post by Zoltán »

If you set the layer to be 1920x1080, it will be a 1920x1080 size texture.
Then you can move it around in your composition, or scale it up using transform.

Slice transform doesn't change texture resolution, it only transforms the input and paints it into the existing texture.
Arvol wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 05:28 If I have an input card on this same machine and I want to send that input to each of those layers as well, Would having 15 versions of the input on each layer be more taxing than having a single version of the input and then 14 Video Routers referencing the input?
Alternatively, I could create a new layer just for the input and then just use slice transform on that layer to send it to all screens (what I'll probably end up doing), But I was curious on the Video Router vs the multiple inputs question haha.
Hmm, haven't tried this yet. I'd guess using the original source would be less resources than video routers, but Slice transform at the end of a single layer's effect chain would be the best, if you only want to duplicate the capture to more places in the composition.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: General questions about optimizations.

Post by Arvol »

Sweet! Thanks buddy :)