Looking for vj's to make visuals on dj sets

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
LXConcepts
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Looking for vj's to make visuals on dj sets

Post by LXConcepts »

HerrNieDa wrote:oh sorry i thought premixed sets are wanted... still confused.
do you want 6 hour premixed clips? or 6 hour footage?
to me it sounds like he's looking for 6 hours of content made per set, with 12 sets per month

that's 72 hours of content....

even if it's just mixing up premade stuff, you're looking at $0.75/second for premade loops off whatever media site you want (bought in bulk/packs- if you can find enough stuff cheaper than this that's HD I'd be impressed)

that comes to $194,400 in premade content (+tax) + whatever your time is worth to put it together and render it all, plus uploading/delivery of some kind. Given that it has to go to the music provided, you're probably looking at about 100-120 hours in processing labor, say 10-20 hours of downloading the content and around 50-60 hours of rendering, and at $25-30/hr (which is cheap) that's still another $4000-6000.

minimum price for this kind of job should be in the $200k range, plus tax and delivery (usb key/hard drive via courier, unless you have a large amount of hosting space.

looking back at it, I probably under quoted, but I already have about 200 hours of HD loops and shit that's been paid for and licensed, so my overheads a lot lower.

realistically its way cheaper to hire a decent VJ at $500/night (or maybe less, I have no idea what people charge) for 12 shows/month than to get the content made in advance
Lighting and media server design

GhettoMinibar
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by GhettoMinibar »

Maybe you'd be better off putting your request on a forum for motion graphics because asking VJ's to come up with 6 hours of prerendered visuals is as insulting as asking a DJ to create mixtapes to use in a club. Not to mention ridiculously time consuming. Resolume has a great autopilot function so if you study the software for a short afternoon you could ask different designers to come up with packages of short material and apply them in Resolume yourself.

Let's say for an hour's worth you would need a minimum of two layers. A switch somewhere every 30 seconds. That's 240 15 second clips (looping twice). Each clip would take me a minimum of 30 minutes to create, not taking into account rendering time, the transferring of said files (DXV files are pretty big) and/or programming them into resolume. 240 x 35 euro = 8400 euro. Times six is at least 50.400. That's a big investment, but at least the material would be reusable. Surely some artschool kid would do it for a fraction of those costs because of great exposure, portfolio etc; mainly because they haven't heard thát excuse a thousand times before (yet)... I personally would not be interested in creating 6 (let alone 72) hours of HD video every month because... well; I have to shower and eat pizza every now and then.

A real VJ could work with far less material yet make it actually fit the music perfectly, thus making it worth everybody's time (most of all your returning customers).
Last edited by GhettoMinibar on Sun Aug 11, 2013 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

has anyone that's gotten in touch with him actually heard back yet?
Lighting and media server design

AlexEtJeremy

Post by AlexEtJeremy »

@Snoze... What's your budget ? expect a lot !
what you are asking is like asking " Madonna to do an album only for your club..."
so yes it will cost you a lot !
However, booking her for one night will be cheaper.
Oh that true ! there are no VJ who bring so much people like Madonna, that's true.
so of course it will be cheaper than Madonna.

But your approach on the business is wrong, if you don't want to hire a VJ, use MTV
if you don't have a budget for live videos, ask your sponsors more money: screens are support for advertising
and believe me, showing a sponsor on screen every 15 min during all night, i do works.
Also, think about Videos as a support to create the visual identity of the club, something who will make your club unique and not like a MTV box.
Yes, the public is not watching the videos like a movie or a tv, but they do:
for a short time, but also during a longer period...
15s to 30s eyes catch at the time, with more than 50 eyes catch by night :)

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I would charge €1500-3000 Euros per minute depending on the complexity with a 50% deposit. Keep in mind no client I have ever worked with has ever asked for more then 5 minutes. Good Luck!

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Article on Forbes
For an hour and a half of tour-quality video, many charge upwards of $100,000 – more than $1,100 a minute – with 60 seconds of premier content requiring a day’s work, according to Ruijgers. The VJs who run the visuals at concert venues earn far less: $500-$1,000 for a well-paid show, a meager couple hundred for others.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/natalierobe ... m-visuals/