newbie - cut instead of mix

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
sj1972
Is taking Resolume on a second date

newbie - cut instead of mix

Post by sj1972 »

I think i am overlooking this - I would like to audio trigger a cut between 2 layers. So that audio fx mutes a layer, when the volume is at a certain threshold.

Meaning - I want resolume to cut to the beat?

How is this done.

steen

seex

Post by seex »

Manualy... Or you can set caoss mode to triger clips i a certain tempo by seting the min and max switch speed, if you dont mind a bit of randomness.

You can also record a midi seqence, if you want to have exat order of clips this is the best option i can think of (you will need other softwere to do this) ... You use a midi seqencer like Jazz ++ to record a seqence of cips to be trigered and than playback the same seqnece, you can adjust the speed with wich the seqence is playing to mach the beat. You will also need the midi yoke driver to route the midi signal to two softweres at the same time.

sj1972

Post by sj1972 »

So there is no transission that cuts? - or overlay mode as it is called in resolume. This seems very basic.

steen

therandelman
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by therandelman »

hello there!
if i understand you right, than there are several ways to solve your problem...

for an audio triggered transission, you will have to edit one yourself. this is totally simple: just create an 320x240, 8bit BMP file (like the ones u will find in the resolume/transissions folder). for a coldcut transission u will need a bmp filled with one color only, for example black. a black bmp will cut, when the audio pegel reaches its maximum amount (100). a white one will cut at minimum amount (1). because of the still very idontknowhowtocallit audio analysis (it kind of suxx), i would recommend to choose grey as a fillcolor for your bmp-files (eg. RGB 666666 or RGB 999999). those transissions will cut at amounts about 40 to 60, which are easier to adjust/control, if u know what i'm saying...
however, u will notice that the cuts are set very randomly, even with plain 4/4beat techno tracks. so for a more precise or regular cut, just check out the timeswitcher function (rightclick the layermixing method in the lowerleft corner, which reads LU) and adjust the switchingtime with the fader... althhough it is not audioresponsive, it is just straighter....

i really hope you understand what i am trying to explain. if not, i can send you the bmp-files, if you want... (how can i attach files to a post n the forums here?)
good luck,
trm :cool:

sj1972

Post by sj1972 »

I fully understand your solution - and it does it for me - thanks!

steen

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Hi Theradelman,

you said (it kind of suxx), can you give some pointers to what you think is wrong and what you like to see different. help is allways welcome.

cheers
edwin

therandelman
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

ch ch ch changes

Post by therandelman »

hey there ed! ;)

hope, i didn't sound too negative! but the fft is indeed not working the way i would like to see...

from my point of view, the parameters are not reacting in a way, which would let other persons (audience) mentaly connect the visual effects to the music and the beat... the fft is very sensitive and reactions/changes in the parameters are triggered too easily/often.
i somehow can not adjust the fft in resolume as precise as i would need it to eg. only and excactly react on the repetitive 4/4 beat of the bass drum and the other one on the wild breaks of the snare. sometimes i even kinda doubt , that selecting different bands has any effect at all.
i could adjust the audiosignal with an equalizer the way i need it, before i send it to resolume of course. but this is just one more workaround... so if there is any way to make audio responsiveness more precise, that would be it!!!!

as i am not as experienced and gig-approved as most others around, i might have missed something. if so, i would love to get some help!

hope i could help somehow...
cheers,
trm