5 projectors 1 video divided in 5 input

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
jaydeeshow
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

5 projectors 1 video divided in 5 input

Post by jaydeeshow »

Hi guys,

I'm looking for options.

I'm doing a show in a big hall and I will use 5 projectors that can reach wuxga.

It will be recorded a dance using contrast black on a white background.
I was thinking to create one file 6400 x 720.
I'm using a MacBook Pro 2014 late 2013 model gt force 750. With datapath fx4 with VMware (just to see the projector do I have to open wall designer?) content will be 24 or 30fps is not a big deal because it's an artistic kind of thing just black and white.

I hope I've explain myself.

Is this the right way to go?

Thank you so much guys.

Best,

Jo.

5AMvisual
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: 5 projectors 1 video divided in 5 input

Post by 5AMvisual »

You'll need a dual link DVI to reach such an output resolution out of your macbook.
As far as the FX4, It's capable of an input resolution of 8k in either direction. so you should be good on that part.
You can preconfigure the datapath to the right edids you want to send to the projectors and macbook.
Only issue that I see is that the datapath only has 4 outputs, so you'll have to output an adittional screen.

I would make my compsize/content a little smaller horizontally, since you'll probably lose some pixels edgeblending those projectors.
Sam
  • HacPRO (Win10/OSX10.13 Render+Mediaserver)
  • i9 9900K OC - 64Gb RAM - NVIDIA Titan Xp 12 GB VRAM
  • MBP 2018 15" - Livid Ohm RGB - Arturia BeatstepPro - DJTT Midifighter Twister
  • Bome MTP - Vezér

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You'll need a dual link DVI to reach such an output resolution out of your macbook.
No need to go DL-DVI, just get a MiniDP to DP cable.
As far as the FX4, It's capable of an input resolution of 8k in either direction. so you should be good on that part.
Yes and you should be able to to 6400x720 @ 59.94Hz
You can preconfigure the datapath to the right edids you want to send to the projectors and macbook.
My advice to you is to place the controller near your projectors and use ethernet back to your MBP to access the fX4 UI just in case.
Only issue that I see is that the datapath only has 4 outputs, so you'll have to output an adittional screen.
That shouldn't be a problem since there are three outputs on the MBP.

I haven't tested but if you have the fX4 with Displayport you should be able to use a little device like the ZOTAC ZT-DP2HD Displayport to Dual HDMI Adapter to split one of your outputs into two 1280x720

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

Thank you guys,

I agree Oaktown.
My fps will be 30.
The datapath will be on the truss and will control 2 for each side of the projection and the 5th will be the center one which is the back of the hall.
So, you're saying to hook cat5 to my MBP, I do use a Belkin HUB that has ethernet. To access UI I do need to run VMWare and wall designer correct? Did I understand correctly?

"I haven't tested but if you have the fX4 with Displayport you should be able to use a little device like the ZOTAC ZT-DP2HD Displayport to Dual HDMI Adapter to split one of your outputs into two 1280x720"

Why do I need this: the Fx4 will control 4 projector via minidisplayport (MBP) to Fx4 displayport and HDMI to the 5th each projector with 1280x720 (there is no edge blending involved).

So resolume will not see the projector on the datapath until I preconfigure the resolution of each projector?

Sorry the confusion guy, but has I said I'm learning, this is the first one so big.

Best,

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

Sorry I forgot,

this show it might be played with a PC, i7 quadcore, 16GBDDR4,Asus Strix GeForce GTX 960 4gb, 3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 DVi.

Do you think it's more safe going with PC (considering the fact that I will use the datapath) or to use my MBP with GeForce GT750M.

Thank you 1000 times guys.

Best,

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Considering the size of your comp, I would probably recommend you use your PC with the 960GTX-4GB.
3 DP, 1 HDMI, 1 DVi
Keep in mind that even though the GPU has 5 ports, it only has 4 outputs.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Just saw your other post:
So resolume will not see the projector on the datapath until I preconfigure the resolution of each projector?
Resolume will not see the projectors connected to your Datapath, it will only see the EDID from the Datapath fX4 as one display and you'll have to manage the 4 displays as Slices in the Advanced Output UI to match the way you programmed your Datapath.

jaydeeshow

Post by jaydeeshow »

Basically will see 1 screen as 5120x720 and then I'll slice them.
I think I got it.
I can't wait to test it.

Thank you oaktown!

lotech

Post by lotech »

I haven't tested but if you have the fX4 with Displayport you should be able to use a little device like the ZOTAC ZT-DP2HD Displayport to Dual HDMI Adapter to split one of your outputs into two 1280x720
This will only work in windows as MST hubs are supported in OS-X.
Also even though 8000x8000px is supported you probably won't be able to actually feed it at 50/60Hz - and will probably have to feed it 25/30Hz due to physical limitations of the DP standard. This is similar to the original X4 - it could take 4000x4000px inputs but the physical limitations of Dual-Link DVI meant it could only do 25/30Hz. You could of course scale it on the output and some content it might not matter for but scrolling text and high speed movement could be problematic. This is unproven for now though.

Personally I think a rMBP w/ 750M isn't powerful enough to reliably do 6400 x 720 but good luck!

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

This will only work in windows as MST hubs are supported in OS-X.
The ZOTAC ZT-DP2HD is an adapter and not a hub and it works with OSX no problems as I use one regularly to simulate a 3840x1080 screen at my desk. Unfortunately I just realized it's been discontinued and is very hard to find!
Also even though 8000x8000px is supported you probably won't be able to actually feed it at 50/60Hz - and will probably have to feed it 25/30Hz due to physical limitations of the DP standard. This is similar to the original X4 - it could take 4000x4000px inputs but the physical limitations of Dual-Link DVI meant it could only do 25/30Hz. You could of course scale it on the output and some content it might not matter for but scrolling text and high speed movement could be problematic. This is unproven for now though.
The fX4 is not using DL-DVI input anymore but two HDMI 1.4, supporting 3840x2160@30Hz and one DisplayPort 1.2 input capable of 3840x2160@60Hz.