Pre-purchase questions.

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
mikekay
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Pre-purchase questions.

Post by mikekay »

I have a decision to make, which media control software to purchase. Arena is at the top of the list, but before putting my $$ down I am hoping to get some feedback from users. First, here is a description of what I am trying to accomplish:
Multiple outputs to projectors where 1 image can be sent to three projectors or 3 separate images can be sent.
DMX control of lights
MIDI input and control of video, images, and lights
Support of Blackmagic Quad 2 for live camera inputs
Projector mapping to separate projectors

Questions - is it possible to record full output and independent camera inputs at the same time?
How detailed is DMX control?
When you add in the cost of the training video's, the software, the currency conversion rate to Canadian $$ - this is an expensive investment. How would you rate the learning curve, and are the video's worth investing in?

Yes, I have the demo version, but cannot afford the time to learn multiple programs to assess. Basically, I am going to JUMP into a package and make it work.

The main competition I am looking at is Arkos Grand VJ XT. Any comments on the pro's and con's of either would be REALLY appreciated.

Thank you.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Pre-purchase questions.

Post by Zoltán »

mikekay wrote:Multiple outputs to projectors where 1 image can be sent to three projectors or 3 separate images can be sent.
You can do this.
mikekay wrote:DMX control of lights
DMX is available in Arena only,
Color output via fixtures: https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx
custom parameters with a fixed value via the same fixtures or some workarounds:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15789&hilit=dmx
mikekay wrote:MIDI input and control of video, images, and lights
yes, see above
mikekay wrote:Support of Blackmagic Quad 2 for live camera inputs
yes
mikekay wrote:Projector mapping to separate projectors
yes, Arena only
mikekay wrote:is it possible to record full output and independent camera inputs at the same time?
no, you can't record inputs, only the composition output.
mikekay wrote:How detailed is DMX control?
8 bits, no support yet for 16 bits.
mikekay wrote:How would you rate the learning curve, and are the video's worth investing in?
Have a look at the free content, and decide yourself. Definitely faster than reading.
We have a great written documentation too at our support page and the Resolume manual.

I hope this answers your questions.
If you got more, let them come ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

mikekay

Post by mikekay »

Thanks for a great reply. The FREE training is not free. I watched the first free version and it was too basic....I would have liked a tour of the interface with explanations before learning how to input content.

8 bit DMX is an issue due to the lighting I am using.....but not necessarily a show stopper. One thing that I forgot to mention, is that the Resolume licence, to the best of my knowledge, only works on one computer. Fair. But it sure would be nice to be able to run a backup copy on a second computer when live. Been working with computers live for a long time and they have a tendency to go down right before show time.

Research continues.....

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

mikekay wrote:Thanks for a great reply. The FREE training is not free. I watched the first free version and it was too basic....I would have liked a tour of the interface with explanations before learning how to input content.

8 bit DMX is an issue due to the lighting I am using.....but not necessarily a show stopper. One thing that I forgot to mention, is that the Resolume licence, to the best of my knowledge, only works on one computer. Fair. But it sure would be nice to be able to run a backup copy on a second computer when live. Been working with computers live for a long time and they have a tendency to go down right before show time.

Research continues.....
Seriously!? Have you downloaded it? You can try absolutely everything you ask about above without restriction, just a little discreet(ish) watermark on the output.

And the licenscing system is very fair, Check out this page: https://resolume.com/support/en/registering

mikekay

Post by mikekay »

You are VERY correct. The licencing is more than fair......getting closer to making my decision. Thanks for correcting me.