best way to get the ipad screen into resolume?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
danklim
Is taking Resolume on a second date

best way to get the ipad screen into resolume?

Post by danklim »

Hi, I'm looking for the best way to screen capture ios screen to resolume avenue. Could you please help?

I've tried alot of wifi applications that can do it, but i want to do it with a wire to reduce lag and setup time.

I've also tried using quicktime, this works ok but also takes a little while to setup and, more importantly, I don't know how to get it into resolume without introducing lag. I've used syphoner application, but this has been lagging alot for me, not working well at all. Does anyone have similar/different experience with syphoner? Are there any better alternatives?

Also just found these, but not sure how they work:

Lightning Digital AV Adapter - Lightning to HDMI - Apple (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD82 ... av-adapter)

USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter - Apple (https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MJ1K ... rt-adapter)

What is the best way to get the ipad screen into resolume?

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: best way to get the ipad screen into resolume?

Post by Empyfree »

Most common ways I’ve seen are by using an Apple TV device and screen sharing via WiFi, or by using the lightning to HDMI adaptor you linked to and then a HDMI capture card. We generally add in an extra step and convert to SDI as soon as we can to allow for an easy cable run, then straight into vision mixer and Arena.

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thank you. Could you explain what you mean by "using an Apple TV device and screen sharing via WiFi"? Why would i use an apple tv to connect the ipad to the pc? And could it be done via wire instead of wifi so it is more reliable?

I have never used SDI or a vision mixer, would like to keep the setup as simple as possible, preferably with just a wire connecting the ipad to the pc. If i use the lightning to HDMI adaptor, then i would need to get a hdmi capture card for the computer to recieve the ipad screen? Is that like an elgato game capture device or is this something that might already be built into my computer? Also, are there any less expensive/easier alternative options to the hdmi capture card?

And then, after I have the hardware set up, would the ipad screen simply show up in resolume avenue's sources? Or would i need to set anything up on the software side?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

HDMI capture card is the safest and easiest. Blackmagic is the cheapest but also finicky.

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thanks. Just looked at Blackmagic but not seeing which product would accomplish what i'm looking to do, they all seem to have alot of different ports. Any particular model that you'd recommend?

I found this video showing what i'm trying to do with elgato hd60. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4NHrLyFL8E

Only problem is it costs like $200. Any way to do this cheaper?

Could i just plug the ipad directly into my computer if i have a free hdmi port? Or do it without a hardware capture card? I can already capture the screen with quicktime, obs, teamviewer or airplay for free... its just that all those solutions are unreliable or convoluted... i feel like there might be a free/cheaper solution out there?

Also, still wondering.. after I have the hdmi hardware set up, would the ipad screen simply show up in resolume avenue's sources? Or would i need to set anything up on the software side?

xdjxklusivex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by xdjxklusivex »

I know of a program just can't remember the name. I can check and get back to you though. I used it for a client who wanted to stream their facetime call over our screens.

It basically was a screen share app I ran on the iphone and my rig then used NDI to send it into resolume. Worked well and it was cheap too.

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

You can’t plug directly into a HDMI port on your laptop. 99.99% of them are outputs only (I’m sure it’s 100% but can’t guarantee it!)

What laptop do you have? Do you have Thunderbolt or just USB?

danklim

Post by danklim »

xdjxklusivex wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 18:17 I know of a program just can't remember the name. I can check and get back to you though. I used it for a client who wanted to stream their facetime call over our screens.

It basically was a screen share app I ran on the iphone and my rig then used NDI to send it into resolume. Worked well and it was cheap too.

Awesome, would really appreciate if you could remember and let me know. I've looked at quite a few screen sharing applications so far, but haven't found any that have NDI or Spout out so that I could send it to resolume (and I haven't been able to find any simple solutions for capturing just the one window of the screen captured ipad into Resolume).
Empyfree wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 20:20 You can’t plug directly into a HDMI port on your laptop. 99.99% of them are outputs only (I’m sure it’s 100% but can’t guarantee it!)

What laptop do you have? Do you have Thunderbolt or just USB?
Ok I was thinking that might be the case. I have two desktop computers- a 2015 imac (which has both thunderbolt, usb and hdmi ports) and a PC which has usb, hdmi, and display ports . Would prefer to capture the ipad screen to the PC, as thats where i'm running resolume, though I could capture it to the mac and send it to the pc via NDI if that's easier

danklim

Post by danklim »

Hey i've been spending alot of time trying to figure this out and the best option so far seems to be to use the hdmi capture card, but i just searched the forum for elgato and found that nobody has said that the elgato capture cards work with resolume and several people have had issues with it showing up in sources.

Do elgato cards work with resolume avenue? Or, if not, are there other brands of capture cards that do show up in resolume's sources? Either way, is there anything i'd need to set up via software or do i just plug in the capture card and it will show up in resolume avenue sources?

Also still wondering if there is any way to get the video from ipad to resolume on pc via just lightning cable? Would be so much simpler

danklim

Post by danklim »

Ok I figured out that I can capture the ipad screen into Resolume on my PC by connecting the ipad to a mac via lightning cable and capture the NDI source via OBS on the mac, then output the NDI stream from OBS on Mac to Resolume on the PC.

This seems to be a better solution than using a capture card because it does not require additional hardware and doesn't require me to figure out which capture card will work with resolume. The latency is not noticeable either. The only issue is that Resolume is dropping frames when receiving NDI streams from the Mac, even though other NDI applications on the PC (OBS and or Studio Monitor) are not dropping any frames at all. I've made another thread describing this issue in detail, can you please check it out and help figure out how to make Resolume stop dropping frames with NDI? Thanks.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17694&p=72110#p72110

Also still interested in advice regarding the Elgato game capture or if there's any hdmi capture card that does work with Resolume avenue, in case the issue with Resolume dropping frames can't be resolved. Thank you