wish layer's mixed the opposite way

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
soup@liastudios.com
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

wish layer's mixed the opposite way

Post by soup@liastudios.com »

Is there a general preference to make layers mix the opposite way? So that layer one would be on top instead of on bottom?

I know one partial solution would be to map your midi controller the opposite; but that doesn't get around the problem of then adding another layer and everything just shifted over etc. VDMX, GRANDVJ, and every other software i've ever used have mixed the opposite way than this in terms of layer priority.

Thanks for your help community as I switch from VDMX & Resolume to Resolume only. Thanks!

AdevProjects
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: wish layer's mixed the opposite way

Post by AdevProjects »

I dont think so?

I dont use VDMX and so am not sure how having it the opposite way would be better.

If you have a deck of playing cards (layers) and all cards are opaque, It makes sense that when you place a card on the top of the deck and look from above, you should not be able to see the bottom card through all the other solid cards.

You could look from the bottom up through the cards, but then the UI is not arranged in the same order as the output appears. What would saying "Put Layer X above Layer Y" mean? In the output or on the UI?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: wish layer's mixed the opposite way

Post by Oaktown »

soup@liastudios.com wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 23:47 Is there a general preference to make layers mix the opposite way? So that layer one would be on top instead of on bottom?
That would make absolutely no sense from a compositing perspective!
I know one partial solution would be to map your midi controller the opposite; but that doesn't get around the problem of then adding another layer and everything just shifted over etc. VDMX, GRANDVJ, and every other software i've ever used have mixed the opposite way than this in terms of layer priority.
Any software I've ever used (Photoshop, Millumin, Madmapper, d3, Watchout, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Motion, Final Cut Pro etc...) both composite the same way Resolume does and add new layers on top.

I don't use VDMX or GRANDVJ but your post got me curious so I downloaded demos for both of these softwares and as far as I can tell layers get composited the exact same way as in Resolume where the bottom layer gets rendered through the top layer based on the blend mode. It seems that VDMX adds new layers below the existing one but they still get composited the same way (I can't see Layer 2 if Layer 1 is 100% Over).

Am I missing something or not understanding what you want/need?