Supported codeds in Alley

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
p8guitar
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Supported codeds in Alley

Post by p8guitar »

Thanks for your research!
So I think I'll have to convert the file to a different codec before sending it to alley, I think I'll try Foto jpg.
My workflow is:
1. Trim the footage with Quicktime so that it loops seemlessly. (Compressor is not the right tool, it cannot play the selected area and loop)
2. Crop the 1920x1080 in Compressor to 4:3 1440x1080 and convert to Foto JPG
3. Convert with Alley to DXV.
Phew. Would be nice to have a tool that can do it all, and on Windows... :?

By the way Zoltán - I just saw that you live in Székesfehérvár. I've been there several times as a young person when I was on holiday with my family at the Balaton. Funny to see this town's name in a completely different context several decades later... :)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Alley can do the loop trim and cropping, and converting to DXV for you also on Windows ;)
You just need to export your footage to a format Alley can read. Prores is supported on both mac and win.

Then load it up into Alley, move the end markers on the timeline to the points you'd like, hit Convert on the bottom, then on the next page Set Size to Custom, and your desired clip size, and set Scaling to Fill.
Hit Queue button on the bottom, and wait a minute for the finished file.

Yes, Balaton is a great place, hopefully the restrictions will be lifted when the nice weather arrives.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

With my OS 10.13.6 macbook pro, Alley doesn't show any end marker, so I didn't knew that alley can trim the length of clips. But in Windows the end markers are visible, nice. The clip loops, which is also very helpful to find the right in and out point. The playhead could be a bit bigger, it's difficult to grab with the mouse. Or please add shortcuts for "got to in point" and "go to out point"!

Cropping 1920x1080 to 1440x1080 works quite easy with Alley, but you can only crop symmetrically the same amount at both sides , and you don't have a preview what is cut off left and right. With compressor I can for example cut off 80 pixels at the left and 400 pixels at the right side, and I have a preview.
the downside is that Compressor is quite buggy and unreliable for me... :(

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

p8guitar wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 19:40 With my OS 10.13.6 macbook pro, Alley doesn't show any end marker
Sounds like you need an update ;)
http://resolume.com/download
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar »

Yes, indeed! But I'm limited to OS 10.13.6., because my MacBook pro is from 2011. My main computer is the Windows Laptop now - which was the reason I changed from VDMX to Resolume. This was a good decision, I really like the GUI and functions of Resolume a lot, it's just perfect! :)