Understanding input maps for led screens

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Understanding input maps for led screens

Post by Grimm90 »

Hi,

I get asked more to do shows on led walls, I'm good with mapping projectors, but i notice i'm still confused on some parts of the workflow with led walls, so i would like to hear your thoughts..

I create screen maps using the AE template from Dvizion, and i create these based on the specifications of the led wall supplier for their processor(s) (see attached)

I load up this image in Resolume, i create a slice for every led wall screen, position & size it exactly on every screen on the input map. On the output transformation i select all slices > "match input shape" .

At this point all slices are the same on input / output, and everything looks great, i can verify that the led processor is configured right & everything fits perfectly.

Now the Resolume manual says the next step is to position the slices on the input side, as your stage is in real. So if you have a long horizontal stroke at the bottom of your stage for example , it takes a slice of video from the same part of the footage. That makes sense.

But does one then make a secondary input map , based on how the led screens are physically installed in the venue ?
After you moved & sized the input slices on your content , the input map generated in AE is scrambled ofcourse. So you need a second map if you still want to verify all is technically ok, and this map is also a template to create custom content ?

Hope i'm able to explain this well, i just want to be sure i get my "way of thinking" here right, as i think it might cause troubles later on if i come to bigger productions..
CANVAS_00000_00000_00000.png
CANVAS 2_00000.png

Grimm90

Re: Understanding input maps for led screens

Post by Grimm90 »

To continue on this :

I put the slices on a bigger canvas in AE and put them as close as possible to the physical layout on stage.
Because of the negative space inbetween screens , the canvas is 3131 x 1762px .

So to have content pixel perfect , i need this template to make my content, and set the resolution in AE to above numbers ?
Resolume composition also on this resolution, align input slices with this template map , but i leave the output as was tested for the processors ?

But then if i need to use stock content which spans the entire canvas, it has to be 4k , or i need to scale the entire map to 1920x1080 ?
3131x1762_00000.png

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

you may allready know this but it solved a lot for me... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ruvVcdXhY

working with LED walls the output have to match the prozessor / supplyer stuff and you mostly work on the input side (so that your content and the slices match your needs)

working with projectors you mostly map around on the putput side and just match input shape (and may scale when more then 1 projector is used)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Makes sense ! I think i'm starting to get the hang of it but led screens is such a different approach for me as my mappings..
Gonna rewatch that youtube video tomorrow , good to have this refreshed sometimes :)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I'm going to do a LED mapping live stream, probably in the children of the input map page, sometime in the upcoming months to get some of the mysteries out in the open. i'll post a link on here as well.
it's actually 100% easier than mapping beamers.