DXV3 Codec Question

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
morymb
Is taking Resolume on a second date

DXV3 Codec Question

Post by morymb »

When I convert my mp4 files to the dxv3 mov file with no alpha, and of regular quality, the file sizes are frikin huge!

Like a few gb per couple two three min clip.

Is this normal?

I thought the dxv3's were supposed to be smaller and more manageable for the resolume software.

BTW, I cannot stress enough how much I am in love with this software. A few hiccups here and there, but usually user error.

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: DXV3 Codec Question

Post by Empyfree »

DXV files are indeed huge. That’s the small sacrifice for the stability and speed.

morymb

Post by morymb »

That's another question I have. Aren't bigger files harder to manage in real time? I mean, these big files are working great for playback, I'm just curious in general.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

morymb wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 16:11 That's another question I have. Aren't bigger files harder to manage in real time? I mean, these big files are working great for playback, I'm just curious in general.
Small files are compressed in different ways with the focus on filesize.. that dont mean its easy to handle...

Imagine you have a long text with a lot of informations. now you compress this information to a single sheet and just shorten every quote and link to the place to find the whole quote.... now the text is short but it may take you longer to understand the information becouse you need to look all the quotes somewere.

text lenght = file size

You can learn a lot about the codec topic of video files before you understand everything... But in Generall always when a file get smaller some information are getting lost. Resolum uses big files but allways have all the information from every single frame in the file itselfe witzout the need to do calculations first.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

francoe

Post by francoe »

He2neg, I allways wondered if there's any difference on playing big files.
I mean, between two dxv files (not on compression side).
Is the same thing if you play a 25gb vs 1gb files?
Or this case:
1x25gb file vs 25x1gb files

I've experienced some chunks/drops playing large files, and wondered if will be better to cut it and sequence it in several smaller files. How that works at drive reading level? I just don't know.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

francoe wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:59 He2neg, I allways wondered if there's any difference on playing big files.
I mean, between two dxv files (not on compression side).
Is the same thing if you play a 25gb vs 1gb files?
Or this case:
1x25gb file vs 25x1gb files

I've experienced some chunks/drops playing large files, and wondered if will be better to cut it and sequence it in several smaller files. How that works at drive reading level? I just don't know.

I think this is something "how resolum work" i guess someone follow us here will add a few lines...

But for example... when a clip is played resolume is ready to play every frame of the clip as fast as possible.... ( ie. random playback) so the clip is loaded into ram of your system same for the clips in your active deck.

i mostly try to keep the decks as small as possible to reduce the load on the system.
Example: when i have a show and there are good time moments to change the deck i split it there...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

morymb

Post by morymb »

I have to learn about decks, man. I need more education.

Once again appreciate your thorough reply habit. Lots of enlightening info in those!

I'll head over to the training tab.

Incidentally, do you have any thoughts on this?

It's a recent question I have.

https://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 212#p79212

francoe

Post by francoe »

He2neg wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 13:07 ... the clip is loaded into ram of your system same for the clips in your active deck.
So, ram load is same with just 1 big file or 10 smaller on deck.
(I think about a single videoplay, a big file with all the content or smaller chunks that play sequentially)