Setup chroma key effect

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
jb0815
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Setup chroma key effect

Post by jb0815 »

Hi guys, I'm struggeling with just set up a chroma key effect.
Let's say I have a camera input with a person and a green wall in the background.
Now I want to "replace" the green backgroung with a video clip.
How do I setup this ?

I have questions like: Where do I place the chromakey effect, in the clip ? in another layer ?
I guess I have to setup the blend modes somewhere but I don't know how and where...

(An example is here viewtopic.php?t=15388, the guys has another problem with opacity, but in general he has setup what I want)

Thanks in advance

boris.lema
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Setup chroma key effect

Post by boris.lema »

what i did:

Layer 1: background/visual/….
Layer 2: webcam/feed with green/blue screen + Add ChromaKey effect (select green/blue)

All my blendmodes are default "add".

i dont know if this helps. I only have res. 6 on my test pc but if there is a problem i can start up a server with your res. version

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

This does what it's supposed to do:
It adds the clip to the cam view, what means the clip fills the whole screen instaed of the keyed parts of the cam picture
Attachments
person.PNG
person.PNG (110.27 KiB) Viewed 19246 times
cam with chromakey effect
cam with chromakey effect
cam.PNG (58.36 KiB) Viewed 19246 times

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

are you sure your opacity of (cam)layer is at 100%

You may can post a screenshot of the whole gui with the 2 clips playing and the preview (cam) and the main out (both)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

Opacity is definitely at 100 % and by the way I have only one clip.
screen.PNG
Interesting is when I enable the option "show mask" in chromakey, you can see the clip is shown in the output (everything else is white). Are you sure "add" is the right blend mode ? However I tried multiply and
Attachments
screen1.PNG

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

It seems to me that you are not properly lit.
It seems you are in daylight. I mean.. there's light coming from windows, etc. The light on you must be smooth, even. Try to avoid huge diferencies on shadows and strong highlights on face.
Also, the ilumination on the green screen MUST be even and and smooth as well.

Chromakey in Resolume is one thing. Chromakey it won't work properly if your light setup is not good enough.

Usually, for pro chromakey results, you should use 5 lights.
02 to the green screen, positioned at the sides, pointing 45 degrees to the center of the screen.
02 to you, the same way, so these lights will not produce shadows on the green screen.
01 (optional) counter light, coming from the top or from the ground, to iluminate your back. This light might be a little bit magenta. This light will make much easier to key out your surroundings, avoiding the green light, reflecting from the green screen, to make you a little bit green as well.

My two cents on it.
Cheers,

Paulo

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

Hi Paulo,
to make things perfect you may be right. But I have a more principal problem. You can see in the first Image, the blue area has been detected properly and is shown as checkert area. Now what I expect is that this checkert areaa should be replaced by the video clip.
This is only a proof of concept (and a very lousy trial) and I don't complain about the quality of the effect but of the functionality of chromakeeing at all (forget the second image, it confuses what I'm trying to explain mor than it helps)

Once more I only want to know the right steps to get chromakeing to work, what means:
- Detect a green/blue area in a cam stream
- replace the area with another clip/image.. whatever

And the question is: what settings (e.g. blend modes ) do I need to set on 1. the cam source, 2. the replacement source (e.g. the clip) , to get it working (independent of possible optimizations of lighting)
Last edited by jb0815 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

The opaccity of the layer of the cam is not 100%... so the croma key cant be 100% as well....

As well your chroma key is set to blue so its trying to key blue ;)

play around with the color & threshold and you may get a better result...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

Opacity of the Layer and the cam are both 100%
My problem is NOT that it's not good, my problem is that it's not working at all .

I see the clip on the whole screen instead of the keyed area, and there IS a keyed area and yes, it is blue that's right (because the couch in my background is blue, and that's my test object)
output+preview.PNG
See the checkered areas, in this case the couch and my shirt, both are blue, both have this checker texture after I adjusted the chromakey colour (which means the colour matches), and exactly theese areas should get the clip, but as you can see
in output view, the clip is everywhere !

I guess, once more that the blend modes have to be changed, but here is my problem : which blend mode setting or whatever on which object (cam, clip, layer , whatever) has to be changed
I think "add" is is not the right setting...

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

In you screenshot (post 9) The fader of the layer is NOT at 100%.... pls dubble check this first.
Layer 2 / V-Fader (opacity) / 100%

If its not what you need i prmoise i do some test and post some screenshots as well to get you through..
~Berlin~