how to cycle through video clips on beat}???

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
vj8k3
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

how to cycle through video clips on beat}???

Post by vj8k3 »

Iv been messing with Resolume for a while and I keep getting frustrated because I dont know how to make it do what I want to do.

I want to collect lots of small clips from different videos and edit them in Adobie premier pro or FCP and then when Im Vjing I can set ot to be shifting through the clips (straight through or randomly) at a good speed to keep beat to the song. I dont mind if I have to do tap tempo to get them to look synced. But I cant figure out how to do this. The clips are around 3 seconds but I imagine some times they will be longer or shorter.

I want to have collections of clips, so lets say one song I cue up clips of snakes, and set it to temp then the song ends and I pull up skateboard clips and it cycles through them to the beat

Tried a few different ways of doing this but its not working

thanks a lot!
๐Ÿ‘ฎโ™Ÿ ลŸ๐•„๐•†โ“šแ—ด โ„‚ัโ“โ„ƒ๏ฝ‹ ๅ„๏ผกฮนฤน ๐“ˆฮ”โ“‰๐’ถล‡ ๐Ÿ˜ŽโœŒ

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: how to cycle through video clips on beat}???

Post by He2neg »

vj8k3 wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 14, 2021 03:08 Iv been messing with Resolume for a while and I keep getting frustrated because I dont know how to make it do what I want to do.

thanks a lot!

What did you try would be nice to hear first =)

Transport BPM then set the beats for each clip and combine with autopilot.... somewere there i would start...
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Zoltรกn
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltรกn »

Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with โ€Enterโ€ - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

He2neg wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:25
vj8k3 wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 14, 2021 03:08 Iv been messing with Resolume for a while and I keep getting frustrated because I dont know how to make it do what I want to do.

thanks a lot!

What did you try would be nice to hear first =)

Transport BPM then set the beats for each clip and combine with autopilot.... somewere there i would start...

I tried making a two minute video of two second clips then imported it into resolume and tried: setting a cue point on each clip transition, but you can only do 6 or so

-I tried speeding the video up and using beat match to line it up but they didnt match right

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Mhm.... lets start from scratch then ;)

Try to work inside resolume with the short clips you have. Place them inside a deck and a layer and then you should be able to do whatever you want to do ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I would start by normalizing all of your clips, make a template inside premiere or fcp and make sure the clips fill that template up with no overhangs or under shoots. Most the shows I run have artists playing music around the 127-128 bpm range, so I try to make a template in premiere with a 1.9-2.0 second range for a simple looping clip, if the clip is a LOT longer than I just multiply 1.9-2.0 by numbers until it get's close to the duration of the clip. This way all my clips are in the same multiples of my base beat, which makes syncing clips a lot easier for you. just throw on the transport method to BPM and start tapping. Inside of premiere, I also try to align key moments or frames that have a big impact to the downbeat of that template, or if it's a longer clip, a downbeat midway through that template, so that moment fires off on the downbeat of the song.

From there, it's just a matter of organizing your clips in Resolume and using the bpm transport to handle the heavy lifting.
Use autopiliot, or assign the "next" column trigger to a dial and have at it. Turn on beat snapping to keep it all in sync when changing clips.

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

He2neg wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 15, 2021 09:07 Mhm.... lets start from scratch then ;)

Try to work inside resolume with the short clips you have. Place them inside a deck and a layer and then you should be able to do whatever you want to do ;)
but I probably want to have a large number of clips to choose from. like say 50-300 clips per song. Thank you for taking the time to help me seriously

like look at this video at 47:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1O7-OhxNzE

some how he is pressing controls so that the clips are triggered and it is matching to the beat. He has different cloud clips, so for that song its a bunch of cloud videos and he is triggering them on time to the music.

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

Arvol wrote: โ†‘Fri Jan 15, 2021 16:35 I would start by normalizing all of your clips, make a template inside premiere or fcp and make sure the clips fill that template up with no overhangs or under shoots. Most the shows I run have artists playing music around the 127-128 bpm range, so I try to make a template in premiere with a 1.9-2.0 second range for a simple looping clip, if the clip is a LOT longer than I just multiply 1.9-2.0 by numbers until it get's close to the duration of the clip. This way all my clips are in the same multiples of my base beat, which makes syncing clips a lot easier for you. just throw on the transport method to BPM and start tapping. Inside of premiere, I also try to align key moments or frames that have a big impact to the downbeat of that template, or if it's a longer clip, a downbeat midway through that template, so that moment fires off on the downbeat of the song.

From there, it's just a matter of organizing your clips in Resolume and using the bpm transport to handle the heavy lifting.
Use autopiliot, or assign the "next" column trigger to a dial and have at it. Turn on beat snapping to keep it all in sync when changing clips.
this seems like there may be my answer in there but I am still new to this so Ill try that stuff even though I dont fully get all of it ill figure it out and report back how it goes. thanks a lot!!!

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

He is most likely using TouchOSC or Lemur app on the ipad/tablet. You can use apps like those and connect to your computer. It looks like he is using USB. Then link those apps to Shortcuts in Resolume (Midi or OSC). That is how you can trigger the clips or anything in Resolume.

Arvol makes some good suggestions about timing your clips to the beats per min of the song. but that 47:25 section is not 127-128. So you may need to adjust your timings to the tempo/clip length you are working with.

It is easy to get caught up in how simple he makes that look, but he probably has a ton of very specific show prep, clips, and strobes ready for that part of the mix. I am not seeing many clips in that section, definitely less than 10. Then he mapped Shortcuts in Resolume to launch those clips and effects.

At many points, it seems the clip only plays while the key/shortcut/clip button is held. Which is called "Piano mode" in Resolume.

You will want to watch the free Resolume tutorials. There is a ton of knowledge in there. Once you learn the fundamentals, you will get to lessons on how to make Midi/OSC shortcuts and set them to piano mode. Then it is up to you to trigger them on the beat because that is the way he is doing it. Even the quick strobes look like he is pressing every flash.

Another technique I see is playing a clip on your base layer. Then strobing another clip on a layer above it. That way you get a quick flashing action, but a consistent base clip playing so the screen is always showing something. You can do your white strobes this way too.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

DHoude wrote: โ†‘Tue Jan 19, 2021 02:29 Arvol makes some good suggestions about timing your clips to the beats per min of the song. but that 47:25 section is not 127-128. So you may need to adjust your timings to the tempo/clip length you are working with.
I was mainly stating that 95% of the music I work around is 127-128 so I format most of my clips to that BPM, But... The beauty of getting all of you clips in sync with a single BPM, regardless of what BPM it is, once you change Resolume's BPM, ALL of you clips will follow and remain in sync/beat.

Step 1 is syncing all of your content. It's not fun and takes weeks (or at least it did with me and the terabytes I had). But once that process is over, you can click with confidence that no matter what you pick, it will still remain in beat.

I use to have a MIDI Fighter controller just for my Piano Mode clips, It was fun, But I've changed workflows since then. One work flow that remains a constant... Having content in sync with each other ;)