ms pinky implement midi out!

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ni-cad
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

ms pinky implement midi out!

Post by ni-cad »

It's still in beta :mrgreen: but today ms pinky have implamented midi CC and Beat Clock out, so it's begining to look like we're going to be able to "scratch" much more than just Video now, effect's perameters too can also be manipulated via the turn table . . Oh Yes!!

I think the resolume team are pretty fond of ms pinky and I qoute " dlpinkstah > The CC and Beat Clock out is only the tip of the iceberg as far as what info we can output in the future" Could this be a step towards compatibility between ms pinky and resolume?

What's the deal you guy's? just how compatable are these two apps now in the light of this new development?
I mean you could do each other a lot of good here, They need a decent GUI and you guys couldn't make a better move then implamenting TCV control now could you? Think about it . . . it would put you on a par with names like Pioneer god damit! and Pinky are already linked up with M audio don't you know . . . yeah thats right M audio . . . "Pro tools!" :geek:

Is any body else thinking this way, or is it just me?

edwin
Team Resolume

Re: ms pinky implement midi out!

Post by edwin »

hi ni-cad,
Cool, thanx for the info.
Yes this would be wicked of course. We need to program some proper scracthing algorithm first though, so that if you start scracthing it's actually sounds good.
Iit's a shame it's MIDI though, because of the precision i mean, but maybe they came up with a smart solution.

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

Ahh, now it's interesting you say this, I'm not sure I understand the reasoning.

The way I see it is, 25 frames a second, isn't to fast a rate for midi to keep with, ok thats just to obtain normal playback speed, but compared to sound this visual data is already devided in to big easy to deal with chunks, the frames. With normal playback speed set to midi cc 64, your plus and minus pitch can still be devided through 64 midi cc's each way (plus and minus). I would have thought this was more than addiquate for achieveing very precise scratching even for a single frame.

Speed wise I know I can send midi cc faster than any human hand can replicate and with as low a latancy as 4 ms. Also the main thing that gives scratching it's impact is the way it sounds first and formost this has to be said..

Have a look at this video, there are for the most part only around 10 frames of footage being scratched with, you can really see how much impact just a single frame of film can have even when being triggered relativly slowly.

http://eborelease.wordpress.com/2007/08 ... remasterd/

Here are some graphics being controlled via midi from time coded vynil, again here it looks responcive enough, this time with no stepping present at all.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=h5dJgjHSx ... re=related

I'm not saying your wrong far from it, just that I can't understand the thinking behind rejecting midi. could you explain a little further why midi might not be a good idea in this situation?
Last edited by ni-cad on Wed Dec 10, 2008 01:27, edited 1 time in total.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

I haven't had a look at how they implemented the MIDI out part but we did had a quick look at their SDK a while ago.
http://www.mspinky.com/SoftwareSpec_0.0.4.pdf
Values they send out like, power, velocity, position are all doubles.
So that's why i figured MIDI wouldn't suffice, i'm not rejecting it but you might want to think why they haven't used MIDI in the first place.
And while 127 steps might be o.k for video, Resolume also plays Audio so higher precision is allways welcome/

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

Yes well audio effects in Resolume are all controlled via midi.

I do agree with you, there are undoutably faster means of connecting two apps, and I'm affraid I don't know enough about them. However midi is still the standard for all music apps, for Resolume it'self also. If pinky used anything else they'd be limmiting the amoun't of applications we could utilise.

I will be processing all of my audio through FL studio, I know it's not a great live app but it has midi smoothing, and it also has Dekadance which supports ms pinky timecoded vynil. all my effects and audio, scratching etc will be running at very hi resolutions, much higher then the midi it's recieving in fact. I'm much more concearned about how Resolume will handle midi input from pinky.

What would be the best way to tackle this?

Any midi cc sent to Resolume is going to most likely result in stepping, be it for clip propperties, audio effects, whatever, as you have said midi is limited to 128 (including 0) cc's and so is everything that can be controlled in Resolume by midi. I'd like to see a solution to this being adopted by Resolume, Or perhaps you may know of a workaround already that might help us?
Last edited by ni-cad on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:36, edited 3 times in total.

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

edwin wrote:I haven't had a look at how they implemented the MIDI out part but we did had a quick look at their SDK a while ago.
http://www.mspinky.com/SoftwareSpec_0.0.4.pdf
Values they send out like, power, velocity, position are all doubles.
So that's why i figured MIDI wouldn't suffice, i'm not rejecting it but you might want to think why they haven't used MIDI in the first place.
And while 127 steps might be o.k for video, Resolume also plays Audio so higher precision is allways welcome/
There are plenty of developers who can design convertors for midi, what type of signal would give the best result's in Resolume, perhaps there's need for some kind of Convertor App? Something that can take a standard midi signal convert it to something better for Resolume.

What would this be, NRPN?

Mudo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Mudo »

Hi everybody,

Actually Ms Pinky is sending midi cc but we could implement sysex or something better, maybe OSC?

but what kind of message will be recognize Resolume (and Ableton too please)?

10bit resolution one please.

;)

ni-cad

Post by ni-cad »

yeah they support osc.

Mudo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Mudo »

Some news Ni-cad (zargak):

http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3115#3115

Enjoy them!

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Wicked.
Would be nice if someone could try the OSC functionality with Resolume in combination with MsPinky.
Check the manual for OSC info.
http://www.resolume.com/avenue/manual/ (select OSC in menu)