If not USB MIDI, then what?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ja_

Post by ja_ »

bart you indicated that USB MIDI hasn't been working very well. Can you recommend some other kind of MIDI interface...do they make firewire ones? I'm hoping to get a VJ system soon and if USB midi doesn't work, i will perhaps get a desktop with some other kind of MIDI interface.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Douglas Heingartner found that the usb midi does work in resolume beta version 1.6 ... so we will try to get it working again in version 1.1 ;-)

if you're getting a desktop comp. you can just connect it though the joystick port on your soundcard, or some (more expensive) soundcards have special midi ports ...

i do now know if there are any firewire midi connection posibe ... but i do now think so ...

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

more news on USB & midi: Douglas just got a brand new Dell inspiron 8100 with a 64mb Radeon 7500 ... and midi through usb seems to work just fine ...

there seem to be some problems with USB host controller by a company called VIA Tech, which is supposed to cause all kinds of problems with multimedia USB devices. The Dell, on the other hand, uses an Intel-made USB host controller, which is supposedly better, or at least more universally compatible.

Also, Creative Labs has just released an external USB-based soundcard called the Extigy, which comes with a "real" MIDI input, so that might be something to look for too if you are really into midi ...